Words Waiting by Emily Owen

@aaronburden on unsplash.com

On the cover of Ruth Leigh’s novel, The Diary of Isabella M Smugge, Fran Hill writes, ‘Reminds me of Austen, but with added Instagram, selfies and hashtags.’

Judging by Fran’s words above, Isabella and I are very different.

I had a message from a friend yesterday: ‘Great Instagram, Emily.’

Dear reader, I am not on Instagram (apparently a poem of mine is though).

I have a dislike of cameras, let alone selfies.

#IAmNotGreatWithHashtagsEither

Undeterred by Isabella’s raging social media success, I thought I’d share with you a recent Facebook post of mine:

‘5-year-old niece is learning to read. On zoom yesterday:

Her: “A Hen In A Pen”

*Pause

Me: “A hen in a pen?! Wow!”

Her (clearly thinking I overreacted): “A pen is like...um...a small container.”

I’m thankful to her for ensuring I no longer imagine a hen squashed into a biro.’

The post generated a few comments – fowl puns ranged freely – culminating in linking hens and biros to Matthew 24: It is easier for a camel/hen to go through the eye of a needle/fit in a biro...

I was more sensibly reminded of the insides of pens at the weekend, when a friend sent me a beautiful quote from a book she’s reading; The God of Small Things:

'Rahel's new teeth were waiting inside her gums, like words in a pen.'

Exquisite, isn’t it?

Words waiting.

  Lord, even before I say a word, you already know what I am going to say.

Psalm 139:4

Saying, or writing, God knows our words before we do.

May our writing come from His dictation.

As I mentioned above, in my non-Isabella-esque Facebook post, my niece is learning to read.

I helped her cousin learn to read, and now it’s her turn.

But now we are in lockdown. I can’t sit beside her, my arm around her as she points to the words she’s reading. I can’t do that. I’m also deaf, which makes it harder. It’s difficult to lipread the top of a little head on a screen, which is bent over a book, earnestly sounding out words I can’t hear.

But my niece wanted me to read with her. I did, too.

Before our first ‘Doing Reading’ session, I thought about how it could work, and I thought the best thing was for her to show me the page before she read it, so I’d at least know what was coming.

As it turned out, she’d already thought of that: the first thing she did was hold the first page to the screen, before reading it to me (and as she read she made sure, as much as she could, that I could see her lips. I’m adding that detail as nothing other than a bit of an aunty-boast).

So, I knew what she’d read before she read it.

I’d seen the words on the page.

A hen in a pen.

Words which, when shared, brought a lot of joy (see above!).

God knows what we’ll write before we write it.

I find that encouraging, especially when words are eluding me.

Words waiting are not words unknown.

And, when they stop waiting and arrive, they bring joy.

You reveal the path of life to me; in your presence is abundant joy; at your right hand are eternal pleasures.

Psalm 16:11


Comments

  1. Beautiful, Emily. You are such a thoughtful, wonderful aunty. And, I love the image of a hen squashed into a biro!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nikki. I have rarely wished to have an artistic ability more than now. I am wishing I could cartoon a hen in a biro - it looks great in my head!

      Delete
  2. You are! Thanks for mentioning Isabella. I don't know what I'm doing on Instagram and I only use hashtags in her voice - but I'll never forget the first time I sat down at this laptop and began typing in her voice. Out came words which had been waiting somewhere I didn't even know existed. God is so good! Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Ruth, and thank you. I find that fascinating about the hashtags. I think there's a blog in it!

      Delete
  3. It's very comforting knowing that God knows what we'll write before we write it. I never thought of it in that way before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it comforting, too. Now to learn patience until He shares the words with me....

      Delete
  4. 'Words waiting' I love that - I've read the Psalms so many times and yet not seen that thought in quite that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine words waiting off stage until their cue comes....

      Delete
  5. Wonderful to remember that God is behind our words if we listen for his guidance. Lovely post. Thank you, Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, When I read your comment, my eyes emphasised the 'if' - it's the key word so often, isn't it.

      Delete
  6. This is such beautiful way to look at things, Emily. I love your blog posts. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Words waiting are not words unknown.
    And, when they stop waiting and arrive, they bring joy."

    This is just so lovely, so well said and so so true.
    Thank you, Emily. Your niece is so lucky to have you, and, of course, you her. Thank you for sharing. You're such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment