Being my Ideal Reader by Jane Clamp


Tuck in, it's all for you! (photo courtesy of Trip Advisor)
There have been times I’ve believed I could change the world through my writing. A glance through my social media feed shows I’m not alone in my hopes. Not just big-time, hot-shot celebrities (although there are many of them promoting their latest title), but fellow ACW members and others we may never hear about. All of us with one ear on heaven’s newsfeed  and both hands at the keys, bashing away and praying we may have an impact on one soul, somewhere.

Worthy, all of it.

And I’m not de-crying it in the slightest.

But I’m not in that place at the moment. After three months of exhaustion, my health is picking up (hurrah!) but medical intervention isn’t over. Life has thrown a curve-ball from another direction, too – and is demanding much attention, as these things invariably do. So, approaching the privilege of writing this monthly blog, I faced something of a dilemma. Do I ignore what’s going on around me and trot out something safe and banal (and, dare I say it, acceptable) or do I stick to time-honoured and God-loved honesty? I’ve gone for the latter.

I am still writing in this different season.

I long ago reached the stage where I couldn’t not write.

But my target audience has changed.

The book I’m writing is one that I’ve wanted to start for some time. It’s all about how to draw closer to God when life is horrible. And it turns out that I’m writing it for me.

Isn’t that so gracious of God? The One who said, “Don’t muzzle the ox when it’s treading out the grain,” knows that we who give out need feeding, too. I can’t wait to find out what I come up with next. It could prove really helpful…

 
Jane Clamp is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (SPCK). She has written the daily content for this year's 40 Acts Lent initiative (stewardship.org) and continues to write for Premier Radio and UCB. 



Comments

  1. Honesty is always what God asks of us and He will honour you for this brave and inspirational piece, Jane. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, honest post, lovely Janey. Thank you. I often read back over things I wrote years ago and am convicted by them. It turns out, as you say, we do write for ourselves in more ways than one. And God uses it. I'm sorry you're in this season. Praying for you, now. Big, fat love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Deborah. Prayers and encouragement both appreciated.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry things have been so tough. The book sounds like a good 'un. Maybe the goal isn't to 'change the world' but just to change 'someone's world' for the better. And that includes you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that you've been unwell and are going through difficult times, Jane. I do hope your new book inspires and uplifts you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A brave response to difficulties. Whatever they are, this writing will be a move forwards from your last, expanding the theme of getting through them with the help of a loving God. btw, the above piece on Beta Readers is spam: it has arrived on several blogs including one I write a monthly piece for. You, or an administrator, may want to remove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare. Your words have encouraged me more than you could know.

      Delete

Post a Comment