Achoo!




Sometimes I feel that my brain is like a pin ball machine.

Let me explain....

I get my daily prompt word from the writing community on Twitter (#vss365). This time the word was Tremendous. Then I think of all the different things that this word represents.

Out of nowhere comes ‘tremendous sneeze.’ So then I think of a prim and proper man. Someone with manners, who hates to offend, and would never not use his hanky. But what if he forgets his hanky? What if he’s at a terribly important event, say a job interview and he has to sneeze. What then? There’s no way Mr Jones could just sneeze. He’s far too polite for that, particularly if it’s a big, wet, snotty sneeze, so he holds it in, desperately hoping that it will go away. Not a good idea, Mr Jones, especially as sneezes can sometimes be 100 miles per hour and holding it in can cause hideous consequences.

The end result is not a pretty one.

Mr Jones was a polite man. He never sneezed in public. Especially not at a job interview, when you’ve forgotten your nicely ironed hanky. So he held it in, this tremendous sneeze. Five years on, they are still finding bits of Mr Jones around the interview room.


So this is where the pinball analogy comes in. It appears that the ball ‘tremendous’ bounced off ‘memories of the sadly departed Terry Jones as Mr Creosote’(this video is not for the squeamish), the macabre side of ‘Roald Dahl’ and me ‘having a cold’ Isn’t our imagination amazing?

I only have to look at the natural world to have my faith strengthened. So many unusual and marvellous creatures that shout out 'intelligent design' and the ultimate use of creativity.

If only my imagination would behave so well when it came to writing pieces longer then 270 characters.

I’d love to hear your stories of how your imagination has surprised you when you write?



Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on Twitter here.


Comments

  1. A mint for Mr Creosote? It is only wafer thin. Wonderful stuff, Martin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh, them finding bits of Mr Jones years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then my task was accomplished! ;)

      This was one of those moments when I gave into my macabre side. Really glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. This is great, Martin! I can visualise Mr Jones perfectly. Really fun description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah, that's really encouraged me, I'm so sorry that I'm only replying now. This was one of those rare times when everything came together. I'm really glad you enjoyed it :D

      Delete

Post a Comment