Who Are You Writing For?

Cartoon showing distractions for NaNoWriMo writer.Yesterday Annie Try (Angela Hobday, our ACW Chair) shared with us her anxieties about NaNoWriMo.  I also am failing at Nano.  Last time I tackled it, in 2015, I arrived at the required 50,000 word count with a week to spare, so this time I was a bit gung-ho.  Oh dear, oh dear.  I daren’t share my pathetic word count with you.

Although I have had family and work commitments over the past twelve days, the problem is that, even when I do have opportunities to write, I’m struggling to get something sensible on to the screen.  Like Annie, I have created chapters I won't use and I have struggled with their word count tool. 

However, I am writing. Oh yes, I am writing:
  • Agenda for Parochial Church Council (PCC)
  • Pew News (weekly church bulletin)
  • Association of Christian Writers eNews
  • Blog post on the Strangest ThingI’ve ever Googled for Insecure Writers Support Group
  • Minutes for Parochial Church Council
  • This blog post.
Looking at this list has made think - reluctantly - about why I write and how I use whatever skills God has given me.  When the congregation enters our church, they’re given a copy of the Pew News and they read it as they’re waiting for the service to begin.  The PCC needed the agenda in order to conduct the PCC meeting, and, shortly, when they get hold of them, they will devour the minutes (and tell me where I got it wrong). ACW members will read the eNews when it comes bouncing into their inboxes.  And you’re reading this blog post.

We have all been given different gifts.  Not everyone in our church could compile the Pew News or put together the agenda and minutes… and neither could I play the organ or sing in the choir, or do maintenance on the church building or in the churchyard.  Not everyone in the ACW has the time and inclination to tackle the eNews (although I’m sure every member could do the writing bit).  However, I am able do the writing things, because I am retired from full-time work and I have honed my skills writing fiction. 

I should not resent all these little tasks for church, ACW and elsewhere.  Yes, I want to write a novel. (for me).  Yes, I would like to see it published (for me).  But we write to glorify God… don’t we?

Rosemary Johnson has had many short stories published, in print and online, amongst other places, Cafe Lit, The Copperfield Review and 101 Words.  She has also contributed to Together magazine.  In real life, she is a retired IT lecturer, living in Suffolk with her husband and cat.  Her cat supports her writing by sitting on her keyboard and deleting large portions of text.

Comments

  1. A lovely honest piece, Rosemary. I like the idea of Pew News! Whereabouts in Suffolk is your church? I'm at All Saints in Wickham Market, East Suffolk. I like your cartoon. I sometimes feel like that, sitting here with a list of things to write and a thousand and one things whirling round my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting though just how much we write! I have not had time to create recently but I have written a 13 page diary for a mission to South Sudan, a letter to funders highlighting the plight of people living in flooded areas on this mission, and various scruffy notes about how I felt about seeing such poverty. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary, I've never managed nanowrimo yet and won't again this year. To be honest, I'm so discouraged with all publishers that I'm not really wanting to write another book at the moment. However, I am paraphrasing and proofreading a life's worth of Bible devotions for an Ethiopian missionary and am very happy on my part to seek a publisher for her. Whatever we do is writing for God, it doesn't have to be a book for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment