It's all completely fabulous! by Ruth Leigh


Welcome to my life. Three beautiful children, perfect marriage, idyllic country location, lots of friends, chickens pecking around the veg patch.

My made-up life, that is. The one I’d like everyone to see.

As a writer, I find myself composing short, punchy bios of myself for each new client. It’s tempting to focus on the lovely bits, making myself sound more sorted than I am. Children. Marriage. Countryside. Friends. Chickens. Gosh, my life is AWESOME!

Just between us (and I think I can trust you to keep this to yourself), it’s true. I have got three children. But they’re human, so they leave their stuff all over the house (I had to move one slipper, a pile of Sharpies and a duvet from my writing chair when I sat down to compose this), sometimes to forget to clean out their budgies and even have the temerity to disagree with me from time to time.

My husband and I first met at 16 and we’ve been married for 26 years. But from time to time we disagree on things. He leaves his socks on the floor quite a lot. I open the bread in a weird way (other people’s lives, eh?)

We do live in a beautiful part of the world. The down side is that our broadband is ludicrously slow and unreliable and when there’s a storm, the power lines blow down. And it smells horrible sometimes as what we term “the poo lorry” (household compost) trundles up our lane at least once a week on its way to the farm.

I’m blessed with wonderful, supportive, loving friends. But my heart has been dented and bruised by false friends, betrayals and disappointment. It hurts me when my friends suffer and of late, many of them have been having a really rough time.

If you drove past our house, you might stop and gaze at our cockerel, Rocky, strutting his stuff while his ladies take dust baths and cluck away to themselves. Every day, I collect a handful of eggs, some pale brown, some deep chocolate colour and some blue and green. But chickens need feeding and cleaning out and sometimes they get ill.

My last bio ran thus: “Ruth Leigh is a writer, poet, inspirational speaker and caterer[1]. She lives in the beautiful Suffolk countryside with her husband, three children and ten chickens[2]. She makes her own jams and chutneys[3], has a morbid fear of fresh tomatoes and loves nothing more than curling up with a good book in front of the fire.[4]

It’s all too easy to put a gloss on life for public consumption, but I’ve learned it’s good to let your slip show from time to time. I love this verse. “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” (Ephesians 4:29). 

These words leave no space for bragging about what you’ve got, or where you live, or how perfect your life is. Looking outwards rather than inwards, encouraging those around you with the generosity of honesty and truth is hard in this world of filters and inspirational influencers. You don’t see many dusty corners or piles of washing on Instagram. It’s the same for writers. It’s so easy to focus on the good, the shiny, the inspiring, taking difficult challenges and putting a spin on them. There’s nothing wrong with drawing from the dark places of our lives to help and encourage those who read our words. But I have to keep an eye on my tendency to over-embellish the good things in favour of the truth.

So, here it is. My skirting boards are grimy, my windowsills are in dire need of a paint and my garden needs weeding. But if you dropped round unexpectedly, I’d welcome you in with open arms, make you a cup of tea and listen to what you had to say. If you wanted to offload, I’d listen. I’d aim to build you up according to your needs and forget all about false perfection. It’s been a hard lesson to learn, but a good one. God has poured out his love on me, a good measure, pressed down. The very least I can do in return is to peel off the filter, calm down the adjectives and be generous with my truth.

It’s not all completely fabulous. But it’s pretty good, just the same.


Ruth is a freelance writer, inspirational speaker and poet. She is married with three delightful children, runs a Spanish catering company, and keeps chickens, quail and guineafowl. She has her first novel in the editing stage, writes poetry as the mood takes her, writes on a freelance basis for several Christian charities and has just started her own business writing blogs for small Suffolk businesses. She is a recovering over-achiever, keeps meaning to slow down and is now able to do the school/college run in her pyjamas most days.






[1] Indeed she is. Sounds impressive doesn’t it? But you should see the bags under her eyes.
[2] It’s 9 chickens now. One died.
[3] But is no Nigella.
[4] Which she manages to do about twice a year. See first footnote.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you've joined the MTW team. I think I'm going to enjoy your blog posts! Funny, warm writing, making a great point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thanks Fran! I am a bit star-struck to be honest as I've got one of your books (like an actual published volume! Imagine!!) on my bedside table at the moment. Thank you so much for your lovely comment.

      Delete
    2. Just spotted this, Ruth, having followed the link from Deborah's blog. Very happy to be on your bedside table :) I assume you mean 'Being Miss' as that's the only complete book I've published as yet. If so, I really hope you enjoy it. x

      Delete
    3. I bought it at one of the ACW Writers' Days and started reading it on the train back. I love it! It's quite a new bedside table. All it has on it is a lamp, a random key I found on the floor and your book x

      Delete
  2. Just keep doing what you’re doing. I love the way you write. God’s grace shines from you in your understanding of others and in knowing the need to keep your feet on the ground. A gift indeed. Just keep a little pot of turquoise eye shadow on you. !!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, thank you so much for these lovely words. I can't tell you how much they've lifted my spirits. Don't worry, turquoise eye shadow, some lurid blue hair mascara and a swatch of shiny satin are on me at all times! I'm so glad you've joined us on MTW - I think you'll love it. Fellow ACW-ers - if you are a bit bemused by these references, Jess is one of my all-time favourite brides from my catering business and we amuse ourselves by thinking of the tackiest wedding accessories ever xx

      Delete
  3. ....“the poo lorry”.. My revered (and ever so slightly batty) Ma called such a thing the "Honey bucket".....

    Loved the juxtaposition of 'All rosy in the Garden' with what is truly happening when the "filter" is cast aside... Grand stuff, Ruth....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Steve - an utterly splendid phrase which I have tucked away for future reference. Thank you, I am really glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful Ruth! Sitting reflecting having checked my skirting boards, window sills (just like yours!) I don't have any chickens now (as they all died, really!) but reminded me how much I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It's good to know I'm not the only one in the grimy skirting boards club.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous post, Ruth. You write with humour and originality. Love your honesty too. A really great read 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Deborah! I really appreciate that

      Delete
  6. Hi Ruth, I read this on the day but didn't get round to leaving a comment. You write with such a fine level of detail, and great humour too. I loved the footnotes but my favourite part had to be the 'So here it is' paragraph. I loved the heart and honesty in that and it made me want to pop round myself just to experience that welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin. Thank you very much! That's put a big smile on my face. The sun is streaming through my (streaky) windows and showing up an outburst of crumbs by the armchair (left by over-enthusiastic croissant eating by child earlier), I can see quite a lot of dust behind the radiator (which is in need of a paint) and there are cobwebs round my lampshade. Hey ho! I am feeling most cheerful and valued with all these lovely comments and I so appreciate your kind words! Just let me know if you're popping round. I promise not to dust!

      Delete

Post a Comment