Walking in the footsteps of Miss Potter by Martin Horton


I love  it when God surprises us. When you can imagine him almost rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of what will happen when we discover what he's planned. 

My wife, Eva and I had this experience almost a year ago, when we stayed for the first time at an air b n b. Eva found this lovely place in the Lake District, and looked to see what the local area was like. It was then that she discovered that the location for our stay was right by Hill Top farm. The home of the much loved writer, Beatrix Potter. 

We were delighted. To be able to walk in the footsteps of the creator of so many beloved childhood delights.   Mrs Tiggywinkle, Peter Rabbit, Flopsy and Mopsy and Jemima Puddle-duck to name just a few. I'm sure you'll have your own favourites. 
Mrs Tiggy-Winkle

The place we were staying had access to this huge field, which was like heaven to our dog, Charlie, and as I walked with him and stopped by some of the trees that were there. I distinctly remember thinking 'did Miss Potter also gaze up into these branches? Was it here where the idea for Tom Kitten first popped into her mind?'




Now, I'm no expert on trees and how old one is by just gazing at it. So these trees may have been no where old enough, and this area could have been totally different when Miss Potter had stayed there, which we had on good authority that the building next door was where she often stayed as a child, but I like to imagine that we'd both been in that self same spot, both thinking of stories. 

As I write this, I remember another time when I've walked in the footsteps, and even sat in the chair, of another well loved author, but that's for another time. 

For now, I will leave you with one of my favourite quotes from the film Miss Potter, and a quote which I believe many fiction writers would agree on....


There's something delicious about writing those first few words of a story. You can never quite tell where they will take you.


I'd love to hear if you've also walked in the footsteps of a famous author, or which one you'd like to walk in the footsteps of. Let me know in the comments below. 







Martin Horton lives in Sheffield with his wife Eva and dog Charlie.  He sees himself as a writer, photographer, baker and storyteller. His short story 'Christmas in the trenches' features in the Christmas anthology Merry Christmas Everyone.

You can follow him on Twitter @Hortonious101













Comments

  1. I've always fancied a trip to Dublin to do the James Joyce tour. It's been on my bucket list since I studied him at university. But perhaps I would have to read Ulysses again before I went, just to refresh my memory. In which case, maybe I'll go to Margate instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book I've often heard about but never got round to reading. Is there a Margate connection or is it because it's a challenging book to read? I've heard it's quite long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I'll say is, I seem to remember 'Ulysses' tops the charts for the book which everyone claims to have read but haven't really. It's not exactly on Richard & Judy's list, put it that way. I'd never have read it if I hadn't been studying it, and even then, 90 per cent of those on my course didn't bother either.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I'll at least download the sample onto my kindle so I can then honestly say that It dipped my toe into this classic tome, or realistically it will be on my TBR pile on my kindle.

      Delete
  3. I visited Jane Austen's House at Chawton in Hampshire recently. It was where she wrote the four big novels. I walked around on eggshells, trying to imagine her life and writing there. Steve literally had to drag me away after several hours. I agreed to lunch in the cafe opposite at a table by the window, where I could greedily drink in a bit more of it! Great post, Martin šŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah, that's very kind. That sounds a wonderful place to visit, and sounds like Miss Austen caught your heart! I'd be exactly the same.

      Delete

Post a Comment