Beginners Idol? By Kathleen McAnear Smith


Let’s Meet Up!

 

Beginner’s Idol?
Exodus 20: 3...no other gods.

There she was, a young woman standing on a stage streamed in from Chicago to those of us gathered somewhere in Portsmouth. As I’m a Pond Person who loves UK & USA connections, and Liz Bohannon is one of Forbes Top 20 Global Speakers* I thought I might listen very carefully.

“Some of us are stuck in our overwhelming dream,” she said.

I pictured my garage stacked with unsold books.

Liz admitted she had a PASSION, an overwhelming dream of helping women in poverty in Africa. 
Stirred by her faith in Jesus and a degree in journalism she had been sure that within a year of graduating from college she would be changing the world.

“ But after a few years of nothing happening,” Liz moaned, “ I was more than just a little 
disappointed. Why wasn’t God doing something?” She cried out, “what needs to change?”

Liz laughed at herself, “ I finally realised that for all I wanted to help hundreds of women in Africa, I didn’t know a single woman who lived in Africa. It came as a bit of a shock, but it became clear that God wanted me to start by making a friend! Imagine. A friend! So, that was the big plan? 

“Well, I did what any reasonable person who just wanted to do what God was telling them to do. I sold everything and bought a ticket to Uganda in search of a friend.” 

I will tell you what happened to Liz in a minute. For now let me say she has a book out called “Beginner’s Pluck” (Baker Books, 1 October 2019) that might encourage you; especially if you are feeling disappointed with getting your writing out to those for whom you know God has called you to write.

In my own pondering on 2019:
1. What has worked? Writing and speaking about contested family life
2. What hasn’t worked? My publisher’s warehouse closed and I have a garage full of books
3. What needs to change? Find someone who can teach me how to clear the garage!

At the end of Liz’s talk, she asked, “ Would you like to meet one of my friends from Uganda?”

Agnes walked out on stage. Liz spoke of how “in the beginning” she had a dream, but she had learned to ask a few questions. Had “passion” become her idol? What did “Aggie” think about her dream? They linked arms and spoke about the process which did eventually lead to their multi-million dollar business supporting women around the world.

As they spoke, none of us in Portsmouth noticed the invisible wire attached to their backs. Suddenly they were off the stage and flew over the crowd! If it had been 3D we would have ducked. “Together!,” they shouted.

Well that was a surprise.

And it made me wonder: What could we do if we took some small steps with friendships made at ACW?

Comments

  1. Encouraging for those of us who do have a publisher who is more or less closed and a garage/room full of books. The encouragement is to be practical and follow where God takes you rather than set off on your own course. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It’s wonderful to be understood. Blessings...

      Delete
  2. Great post, fellow newbie! I am nowhere near having even a drawer full of books so this is something to aspire to. Really interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, Kathleen! Often the things that are 'sticking' for us aren't those that we thought would be...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've reminded me of the value of those friendships made within ACW. For me, it's especially through our local group, who have proved so supportive personally and writing-wise, prayerful, encouraging, and fun.
    And that friendship has led to development for me - it got me a spot on this blog, which is making my writing develop and I'm learning lots.
    God bless those friendships old and new.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment