Walk up the Stairs by Peculiar Medinus

 

Pec's Illustration

Today is National Take the Stairs Day, and I'm challenging myself to step outside of my comfort zone! Taking the stairs instead of an elevator might not interest everyone, but it can be truly rewarding. Not only does choosing something out of your ordinary daily routine offer physical benefits such as improved cardiovascular health, but taking on new challenges also encourages growth and boosts self-confidence. Whether you are already motivated or need a push in the right direction, there are plenty of reasons why shaking up small habits can lead to greater rewards. Sometimes, after a busy day at work, I take comfort in taking a break and climbing up some stairs. The increased heart rate from climbing can help burn 10 calories per minute - and if that's not enticing enough, stair climbing also helps to tone my lower body muscles, such as quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves, all simultaneously. So, the next time you are stuck or overwhelmed, give yourself permission to take those extra steps!

I'm discovering the power of taking on small challenges. They are pushing me out of my comfort zone and heightening my resilience, confidence, and perspective in ways that I never thought possible! As I confront these mini-challenges head-on, they're showing what it means to be capable of something greater - teaching me powerful lessons about risk-taking along the way. With each new experience or idea explored comes a potentially life-changing moment, one that only reveals itself after leaving old habits behind. It starts with making a simple choice, like opting for the stairs instead of taking a stuffy elevator ride!

I'd like to encourage anyone who appears to be stuck in their writing: don't be afraid to try something new...You never know what doors will open if you reach just beyond your limits!

Today is a good time to reflect on a past experience that has pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Years ago, my older sibling and I had no choice but to walk up 15 storeys in high heels to make an urgent delivery. We were thrown outside our comfort zones and forced to do something that seemed impossible. At the time, it felt uncomfortable and daunting; however, looking back now, I'm thankful for that experience, as it turned out to be beneficial. I'd like to encourage anyone who appears to be stuck in their writing: don't be afraid to try something new! Let's take a leap of faith together. You never know what doors will open if you reach just beyond your own limits. So let's hike up those metaphorical (and literal!) stairs. It could be an incredible journey with some amazing rewards on the other side. So, are you ready?!




 

Comments

  1. Lovely post, Peculiar. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.. I plan to be bold in my writing in 2023. Who knows what doors might open! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sophia. I'm glad you found something to take on. Many blessings!

      Delete
  2. Stirred by the idea of taking new steps in writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Katherine. I'm hopeful you will set out on a journey to explore new terrains of writing.

      Delete
  3. Well said. Thinking about small steps is often more beneficial than thinking about climbing a mountain. Will take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! Thank you for your insightful comment. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. I like that metaphor which turned out to be a real experience. 15 storeys in heels! I'll be thinking of that as I push myself to do more in 2023

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. our mission hit an unexpected obstacle - the lift was dysfunctional! Undaunted, we bravely climbed the stairs to make sure an urgent delivery didn't miss its deadline. Thanks, Ruth. I'm glad our experience has encouraged you. 2023 is set to be the year you reach new heights of success!

      Delete

Post a Comment