Our Picture of Heaven - Static or Dynamic? - by SC Skillman

What is your idea of heaven? If asked to draw an image of it, what would you come up with?  I've found that people may often be unwilling to either say exactly what they think heaven is like, or to create their own image of it. And then they seem held back by ideas of "eternal rest" or heaven as static and changeless - something we cannot relate to in this world at all.

William Black poem: To see heaven in a grain of sand

To me, heaven is not heaven if it is not dynamic and creative and vibrant. That idea seems to be encapsulated by William Blake's poem "To see heaven in a grain of sand." I've heard it said that heaven is a place where God "holds our lost dreams safe for us". My dreams involve communicating, entertaining, captivating... a rushing wind would more closely represent them. Notice these are all verbs. They are all about activity, about "doing". Is there no "doing" in heaven?

In the past I've thought of heaven as if it was a celestial version of Switzerland - snow-capped peaks, waterfalls, and alpine meadows bright with flowers. I've imagined glorious fragrances - pine, lemon, lavender, and have seen waves of golden gorse and purple heather, and heard the tumbling water of a mountain stream, birdsong, the music of the spheres... Further back, when I was younger, I visualised heaven as a reunion with my dog who had just died, (a miniature silver poodle). He would come running to meet me, barking gladly, his tail wagging. But now, what image would I depict? Certainly not angels with harps on clouds. And dare I even make a representation that somehow limited this most inexpressible of subjects?

But during a Christian retreat a few years ago I made a sketch with coloured pastels that conveyed, however obscurely, how I felt about being in heaven, what kind of experience it might be, in terms of sensation and consciousness. And when my curving lines had caught me up and swept me into the space at the centre, I added a few words - quotations about heaven from my favourite poetry, both from within the Bible and elsewhere - because, as a writer, I believe there must be words in heaven too, for words give as much joy as images.

What abut you? How do you visualise or understand heaven? I'd love to know some of your thoughts on this.


SC Skillman writes psychological, mystery and paranormal fiction and non-fiction. She published two novels, Mystical Circles and A Passionate Spirit, and followed them with a writers' guide, Perilous Path. Her non-fiction books Paranormal Warwickshire and Illustrated Tales of Warwickshire are published by Amberley. She has a third book out with Amberley later this year, A to Z of Warwick. She is currently researching a book on Gloucestershire and also working on two new novels, Director's Cut and Standing Ovation.


Comments

  1. Hmm. Sitting here with a flat white waiting for daughter + granddaughter to arrive. Great post…making me think, or maybe better, long. A long time ago when another daughter asked me (she was about 6 or 7) ‘Daddy what’s heaven like?’ fully expecting me to know and answer. It was that question that kick started my writing! I wrote an adventure book that attempted to answer her question…she still has the book. One of the features I expect in heaven is some form of super-connectivity & communion with all there is, unlimited knowing of another whoever that may be - including what they’d like to do…not too much a floaty ethereal nothingness. Bit like CSLewis captured it, everything so much more real & solid. OK back to flat white. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I love the fact that you wrote a book to answer that question. Super-connectivity and communion - that beautifully expresses what to me would also be a key element of heaven. I'm glad you referred me back to CS Lewis - I can't remember which of his books contained the most wonderful metaphor about the heavenly horses in the King's stables, whether it's The Great Divorce, or Miracles. I shall look again at what he says about heaven as he is among the most inspiring of all Christian writers.

      Delete
    2. Ah…I’d forgotten about heavenly horses in the King’s stables. Now my quest to re-read the books you mentioned! C S Lewis - such a gift to turn biblical ideas into vivid images.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever looked at the "revelation of St John" (last book of the Bible}: this is the disciple John's vision of Heaven - though it is a great deal more besides - but there is some idea of what he thought Heaven was like as a background the events described. It is the New Jerusalem. Also, we know that Christ said there is no marriage in heaven - though there is relationship between those who are there. This is just some thoughts - a rough guide... You've added a new subject to the blog, Sheila and a speculative one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clare. Light, crystal clear water, the tree of life, gemstones, and fruit of every season... such wonderful imagery of heaven in Revelation.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Sheila! Thanks for the post and the thought of Heaven. I try to imagine Heaven as a place with golden floors and a magnificent bedroom for each saint as the perfect place to rest. I also think each room will be personalized to suit each person. Heaven is final home after Earth. It would be interesting trying to draw out our thoughts too. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Sophia! I love Jesus' image of 'My father's house has many mansions... I go to prepare a room for you.' I must admit I visualise there a magnificent and infinitely varied palace full of inviting rooms and many different people in perfect communion with each other.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this post, Sheila. Rob Seabrook's novel Beneath the Tamarisk Tree has some interesting ideas about heaven. Have you read it yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. No, I haven't read 'Beneath the Tamarisk Tree' and I will check it out now.(Sheila).

      Delete
    2. Thanks for mentioning my book, Beneath the Tamarisk Tree - the imagined life of the penitent thief, who was promised by Jesus that they would be together in Paradise. Writing about heaven was a real challenge - I took as many clues as I could from the Bible, especially the book of Revelation, from the clues that we see in the stunning creation around us now, as well as reading as many other books as I could find from people who had "researched" and studied it. But in the end, to create a novel, I had to expand on it with what I could drag out of my imagination, which I guess is the life of a writer anyway. I agree that it will be an absolute feast for all the senses and emotions, and the reality of what we find when we get there will be so much more amazing than we can ever imagine here!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re-posting my reply ... Great post, Sheila. My picture of heaven is of this earth renewed and restored to a far greater splendour than before. If heaven looks like Switzerland or Norway, or any other spectacular alpine region, I will be ecstatic. ;) We have a beautiful planet, but we've spoiled and scarred it through our greed, pollution, rapaciousness and propensity to violence and war. After Jesus makes everything new, everything will be transformed and changed. There's the image of the Holy City coming down to earth as described in Revelation 21, the vision of the new heaven and the new earth. I tend to believe that 'heaven' is the intermediary state, where the blessed are caught up in 'wonder, love and praise'. But our final destination is a totally renewed universe. We will have bodies, we won't be disembodied spirits floating around - Jesus makes that clear.

    Relationships will also be very different. There's no marriage in heaven. I'm not into the idea of big reunions with our loved ones - I'm not saying that won't happen, but the Bible makes no mention of it and I really don't think that's where our focus will be - we will experience perfect fulfillment of being and purpose in our Lord and all that He has promised us, and that will include our relationships and our creativity. Whatever it proves to be, I don't think any of us will be complaining to the management!

    I'm very influenced by CS Lewis's ideas, expressed in his children's story The Last Battle (the final Narnia book) and The Great Divorce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Philippa. There's a lot to think about in your reply. But perhaps it's best not to think too much! Having said that, I love CS Lewis, and he engages us on every level, including the intellect. (Sheila).

      Delete
  7. For me, heaven will contain at least one enormous library, there will be many bookshops where browsing is encouraged, no calories and there will of course be constant access to our Lord. And no more tears. I do like the idea of it being a bit like Switzerland. I could live with that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment