Never Did I Ever by Emily Owen

Never did I ever think I’d write a blog about Formula 1.

But here we are*.

"Hello?!" The blank page on my computer screen called to me.

I frowned at it.

"You’re supposed to be writing a MTW blog."

I frowned again.

"I need some words," the blank screen continued.

I frowned at it some more.

"Um, that was a hint…"

I frowned even more.

It sighed. "I’d spell it out, but I can’t."

I raised my eyebrows. Not funny. Well, maybe a bit funny.

"Please? Type something? Anything?"

So I did what anyone would do, and typed the name of a website to order my nephew a model Formula 1 car for his birthday.

I’d already done my research. I’d dutifully looked at cars, trying to pick one that my nephew would like. I’d asked my dad, and my brother-in-law, whether a Lando Norris was a good make of car to get?

Photo credit: unsplash.com
ALT: A yellow racing car

When they stopped laughing, they told me that Lando Norris is not a make of car. Lando Norris is a driver (who knew….).

Lando Norris is not a make, but a person.

A person who drives a car that is individual to him. All the drivers don’t drive the same car, though there are similarities – all the cars are made for racing, after all.

Perhaps a bit like all writers don’t pen the same book, though we all use words.

F1 teams support individuals within their team, helping them to flourish; perhaps a bit like ACW.

Lando Norris is not a make, but a person.

A person who wears a special protective suit when he’s driving.

What about us, as Christian writers?

‘Thank you for helping me don my armour.'

This is a message I sent Ruth back in June.

I’d asked her for some writerly advice, which she’d kindly given.

And consequently, I felt more confident.

An example of supporting an individual (me) within the ACW team.

Thank you, Ruth.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power…..

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled round your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Ephesians 6

My nephew-led brief excursion into the world of Formula 1 showed me that the primary reason for the special suits drivers wear seems to be to protect them from fire.

In other words, to protect them when something goes wrong. Which it doesn’t always. But it might. So they keep their suits on.

Apparently they keep them on even after the race, when they are on the podium, and conducting interviews.

May we, whether whizzing round a proverbial writing-track, signing contracts and publishing books, or struggling when writing seems stilted, remember to don our spiritual armour.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

Philippians 4:13

(*With huge apologies to anyone who has a clue about F1…..)

Comments

  1. Thank you Emily, great piece. Food for thought, particularly as my Bible devotional notes all this last week (Day by Day with God, from BRF) have been on this passage from Ephesians. I sense a nudge from God to carry on deepening my understand of spiritual armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. Interesting it coincided with your Bible notes. God bless you as/if you explore Ephesians 6 further. As I (vaguely) paralleled with F1, I was really struck by the fact the drivers keep their suits on even when they have finished the race and are celebrating. Armour is for always.

      Delete
  2. I love that comment, Emily, 'armour is for always'. How true, a great reminder. And a really creative piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Clare (sorry, I'm making a bit of a hash of commenting here! All above comments are me. I should probably rank my technical knowledge on a par with my F1 knowledge....)

      Delete
  3. Lovely post and I say Amen to all the prayers shared here! Like you, I had no clue about Lando Noris being a car or person! I guess F1 drivers have no clue about a writer's jourey other than their racing journeys on the track against one another. Thanks for the scriptues shared. They give me hope and strength for my writing goals this year. Especially Philippians 4:13. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. I'm glad it's not just me who is clueless about Lando Norris! Saying a prayer over your writing.

      Delete
  4. Just lovely. And beautiful the way our books and the ideas and emotions that go into them are tailor-made for us to do. Thank you. Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah. Yes, it's lovely that they are tailor made for us.

      Delete
  5. I know NOTHING about F1 racing. Nothing! You could have said anything and I would have drunk it in, such is my writerly respect for you. Great blog, it messed with my mind in a fabulous way, taking me down one road and then abruptly changing direction. Just the way I like it. I'd forgotten all about the advice, but I'm glad it helped x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. F1 solidarity greatly appreciated! It did help, thank you.

      Delete
  6. Thought provoking piece, Emily, thank you. It has made me think about keeping the armour on all the time, not just cherry picking the moments. God's amour isn't heavy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. Yes, it's a challenge to remember to wear the armour all the time.

      Delete
  7. Our armour is indeed essential as we face the daily battles of life.
    What an inspiration Paul was and remains to us all.
    Thank you Emily x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment