Thank you, Queen Elizabeth II

 

  Our thoughts are with the Royal family today as they bury their mother, grandmother and queen of the nation. It is strange how death makes us think of our own lives. I'm sure many of us have over these past few weeks. Duty, service and devotion are just a few words which come to mind when thinking about Queen Elizabeth II. What an example! I could never hope to match what she achieved in her life, but she has given me an ideal to aim for. I'm glad I am able to say a public thank-you. But there have been other things on my mind too.

  I’ve been thinking about custard! Yes, that’s right custard. When I was a child and perhaps, I’m giving my age away now, when the custard was served it was always lumpy. It didn’t matter whether it was at home or school dinners, the lumps were there. There were no ‘instant’ mixes or pre-made cartons available. I think it was something to do with the consistency of the mixture before the boiling milk was added. We learned to swallow the lumps yet still enjoyed the custard. We didn’t expect it to be smooth. Our writing lives are like that sometimes.



It is in the ‘lumpy’ times that we may be tempted to give up. Throw in the towel. But before you do that think it through a little. Test your emotions. Why are you feeling like this? For me I was enjoying the garden and its opportunities and didn’t want to go indoors. I thought I’d run out of ideas for my writing group and my YouTube channel. Then I took my own advice from last month and awarded myself an extended summer break. Since then, I’ve received encouraging messages, invitations for new projects and not so subtle hints about when the next writing group meeting is.  I’ve rebooted the writing schedule.

Now I’ve planned both my next writing group meeting and the YouTube channel. This wasn’t a sudden epiphany but working through a process. I looked at why I wanted to give up, realised this could be a seasonal blip coupled with some grief issues and asked myself, did I really want to give up things which had given me so much pleasure in the past? Maybe others too. I was thinking about the custard. We learnt to enjoy the custard by swallowing those lumps. I could do just that with my writing.

It helps to focus on the bigger picture and not just the lumps. That’s why taking a break helps. Breaks provide a distance from which we can re-evaluate. Yes, re-assess everything - life, writing, family, church!

  Looking forward to fruitful writing as the colder weather draws in, I remain an enthusiastic member of ACW, open to what lies in front of us. God bless the King.

 


   Rosalie Weller is an ordained minister in the Uniting Presbyterian church of Southern Africa. She is now retired and writing in the East Midlands. Her writing interests are broad, including writing bible study guides, historical fiction and poetry. All her books are available from Amazon. For more information see her website www.rosalieweller.com

 

 

Comments

  1. I've learned this recently. My life has always been full of lumps and my way of dealing with them has been to work insanely hard. However, I recently awarded myself a couple of days off and scheduled coffee with friends and was amazed at how much better I felt. I just need to keep it up now! Timely reminder, Rosalie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words, Rosalie. I have had to learn not base expectations of the present and future on what was done in the past; to take time, take stock, and take care. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement. There always a bigger picture that transcends the momentary lumpy patches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and so often we forget to look out and look up, don't we?

      Delete
  4. Lovely post. Thanks, Rosalie. It is comforting to learn that we are not alone in having bumps in our writing career. I agree with you that checking our emotions and taking a trip break are very helpful. My trip to Cumbria had a most rewarding effect on my writing.I have doodle books that help and of course, most importantly, talking to Papa God about it all. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sophia, I love the idea of a doodle book, will probably try that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this, Rosalie. This really spoke to me, especially the bit about why are you feeling like this? One writer on a writing community I used to belong to used to quote Churchill (I think) - 'Never, never give up'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the analogy of 'swallow the lumps.' We all have them, though mine are mostly bodily lumps. I can still metaphorically swallow those and get on with what I can do. Great post-Rosalie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment