So long, farewell... by Jane Walters

I would say that I stopped the title where I did because I couldn’t spell Auf Wiedersehen, but it wouldn’t be true. Obviously. Suffice to say, though, that this blog is by way of a cheerio. Having occupied the 5th of the month slot since October 2015, I sensed a few weeks ago that it was time to step down and make space for someone else. So, I have great pleasure in handing over to Kathleen McAnear Smith, who, as Tony Blackburn might have said, is moving up from number 19. (Bizarrely, I first met Kathleen on Saturday at my Norfolk town’s train station – despite her living in Surrey – where we were both, unknown to each other, travelling to the British Christian Writers Conference…)

There’s a story right here about how we need to hold things lightly – even things we consider precious. The ACW blog isn’t the only thing God has recently asked me to lay down and, having trusted Him in the past, I have done so gladly, knowing He knows best. Often when God is speaking to me about spiritual matters, He prompts me in practical ways, too. I’ve recently had the urge to purge (spot the sheer poetry there) my wardrobe of things I no longer wear. (An embarrassingly large amount, it turns out). Perhaps God is making way for something new in my life. It would be exciting to see!

My focus every month for these seven years has been to tune into what God might be wanting to say to us all regarding our writing. I have aimed to be honest and at times vulnerable in my musings, always hoping that my sometimes-tortuous journey as a writer might find some like-minded companions. I hope I have managed to offer encouragement and maybe even a little wisdom. I’d love to think I’d enabled some of you to take some more teetering steps on your own writing path.

So, in signing off, I’d like to offer a few final tips.

·         Enjoy your writing. If it’s not flowing, don’t force it. Get up, do something else. Eat chocolate.

·         Aim high but don’t beat yourself up for coming woefully short. God simply doesn’t see things the way we do. He’s thrilled that we even try.

·         Don’t – please, please, don’t – try to do the writing stuff on your own. Meet up with other writers often. There’s loads of us out there to choose from.

·         Pray this genius prayer that I heard from Bishop Jill Duff: “Unleash your words in me, O God.” Try it. God seems to love answering this one.

·         Laugh more. Even if it’s aimed at yourself. In fact, especially if it’s aimed at yourself. God meant this life to be fun. I’m sure of it.

Keep in touch!

Jane Walters is vice chair of ACW and leader of two affiliated ACW groups in Norfolk. She is currently working on her latest novel and learning how to be a dog owner. www.janewyattwalters.com

New followers are welcome at:

Instagram: @readywritersretreats

Twitter: @realjanewalters

Facebook: Jane Walters, Author and Speaker


Comments

  1. Thank you Jane for all you have contributed here and for your wonderful post which spoke directly to me. It is fascinating how 'the urge to purge' can hit us; and especially the way it becomes clear, right and simple to let go of something. Recently I woke up very clear in my mind that I should let go of one particular social media channel I'm involved in. I realised it is not good for my mental health. As soon as I uninstalled it I began to feel a sense of peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that God led you that way! He's so good, isn't He? xx

      Delete
  2. I have enjoyed all your More than Writers' posts, Jane. I have made a note of the prayer to use in my quiet times. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, for reading them and for sharing them for me in the early days x

      Delete
  3. There are times and seasons, aren't there? Thank you for all your columns which are always witty and fresh, but enjoy doing all the things you'll be making space for! Holding things loosely is very good advice - I really do agree with that. It's a lot less stressful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. 'Witty and fresh' sounds a good tagline for a perfume. I might explore that in my newly found free time...

      Delete
  4. Oh Jane , what a great post! It was lovely meeting you at the conference! It is sad to see you go and you will be so missed in the MTW Blog. It is a bold step but as it is you obeying God, it will be for your good. Like you, I too got the 'urge to purge' my wardrobe and create a study room in our guestroom! I am excited about this and hope you too feel the excitement of purging your wardrobe and stepping down from MTW to see what God has next in store for you. Thanks so much for your final advice. They are gold nuggets. God is fun, surely! So enjoy the fun in your next endeavours. Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Encouraging, as ever, Sophia! What a gift you have there :)
      Every blessing as you carve out more space for Him to work in and through you xx

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear this, Jane, but very wise to listen to God and take on new stuff and new paths. I'm in that zone myself at the moment. Thank you for all your posts over the last 7 years, what an amazing record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. I appreciate that you've been one of my readers :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for such a cheerful exit, Jane. Lovely to meet you at WOWIG back in June. Laughing more is great advice and I know you'll be great at it; indeed, you've already nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God got it so right when He gave us joy. I've wasted far too many years being miserable... xx

      Delete
  7. Laughing, meeting up with other writers, chocolate! Got it. Great advice Jane. I will very much miss your witty, wise and profound contribution to MTW. Also lovely to see you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your contributions and parting thoughts. I hope and pray that the Lord will bless you abundantly doing whatever he has in store for you as you walk in obedience to him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, Jane, which spoke to me in so many ways. I've loved reading them over the years. Every blessing in your pastures new. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Veronica. I'm glad you've been encouraged and I thank you for encouraging me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment