Briefly Obeying Shakespeare by Emily Owen

On Saturday, I went to the theatre to see Richard lll. It was a wonderful performance. I didn’t know the play well, and it is one I shall revisit. Not in this blog though. In this blog I shall aim to pay attention to a line from the play:

Tis better, sir [Emily?!], to be brief than tedious

William Shakespeare (Richard III), Richard III

In Richard lll’s opening monologue, he says:

But I, that am not shaped for sportive tricks,

Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass

 Some people are born with a proverbial pen in their hand. 

They’ve always known they’d write.

I am not one of those people.

I could rewrite the above quote:

But I, that am not shaped for writing books

Nor made to market them

 

And yet…

While it is true that I am not a marketer, I do find myself writing.

God, as He often does, had other plans.

 

Some people have a strict writing routine. 

They write from X time to X time every day.

I am not one of those people.

Some days I write. 

Some days I don’t. 

Occasionally I might write something maybe beautiful. 

Some days I perhaps shouldn’t have bothered to show up at my keyboard at all.

 

And yet…

God, who calls me, is faithful.

God, who calls you, is faithful.

(1 Thessalonians 2:12)

 

Last week, I was at my sister’s house. My niece, who is six, came to say goodnight.

She gave me a hug, then stood back and looked me over. 

After a second or two, she said, ‘goodnight, beautiful glasses.’

(ALT text: A pair of glasses, pink, black, and brown)

At the end of the day, she focussed on something positive.

Can I encourage us, as writers, to do the same.


One more quote from Richard lll:

The king’s name is a tower of strength

The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe.

Proverbs 18:10

May our Lord and King strengthen us.

Wherever we are in our writing, we’re safe.

Comments

  1. Nice: my take-away line from this is 'at the end of the day, she focussed on something positive': so wise, and so necessary! (I wonder if our late Queen tired to always do this? Sounds a bit like her.) God bless you Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire. That’s a lovely point about Queen Elizabeth ll. You’re right, I think it does sound like her.
      May God bless you, too.
      - Emily

      Delete
  2. What a lovely, encouraging blog with a message that I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine.
      - Emily

      Delete
  3. A wonderfully inspiring post, Emily, yet I find myself disagreeing with one thing: 'Occasionally I might write something maybe beautiful.' You ALWAYS write something beautiful- on here at least. Thank you for your wise and lovely words xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah. That’s so encouraging. X

      Delete
  4. Lovely post and God bless your niece for making me laugh in my heart! Like you, I'm not in any of the categories you listed up there. Thank God for His faithfulness and His advice to us to be like little children. Thank you for your advice too. It comes in handy when reading and reviewing books. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. I love that phrase ‘making me laugh in my heart’ - it’s stunning.
      - Emily

      Delete
  5. Tis indeed better to be brief than tedious and you are never, ever anything but brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up! Brilliant blog... I so resonated with it. How many times have I proverbially shook my head at God and said 'but I didn't choose this!' Your writing here has blessed me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. That proverbial shaking of the head resonated with me!
      I’m glad the post blessed you.
      - Emily

      Delete

Post a Comment