Breaing boundaries?

 



When I lived in Nigeria, 19 years ago, there were months of unpaid salary but I would never eat foods cooked with dog, cat, frog or snake meat. These are delicacies in some cuisines but I wasn’t brought up to see such as food! My family kept dogs, cats, rabbits and even monkeys as pets and they feature in my books [Their Journey, Stories for Younger Generations, Stories from The Heart and my poetry collections].  It would have been breaking the boundaries of my ethics. During the Biafra War in Nigeria, some people broke their food boundaries to survive. I’m sure in God’s eyes, they didn’t break any boundary; my opinion. Did Prophet Hosea break boundaries marrying a harlot?

I recently published a Christian fantasy fiction about Eliana, a sex worker, in ‘The Captive’s Crown’ who found redemption! This resulted in some graphic scenes. Did I break boundaries of Christian genre conventions? For some Christian readers, this read might break their reading boundaries. To encourage such readers, please skip Chapters  17&18 [pages72 -81] .  Should I have been more abiding? I have been blessed reading about characters that were doctors, scientists, etc and marvelled at things I never knew. I break my reading boundaries when I read – sci-fi, pirates, horror, etc as a beta reader, a reviewer or simply out of curiosity. I am always blessed!

I was encouraged by 2 specific reviews on ‘The Captive’s Crown’ and I remembered Colossians 3:17 –“Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus…” Other amazing reviews on Amazon gave me food for thought – our filthiness in God‘s presence before Lord Jesus made us clean, acceptable and righteous by His blood is what happened to Eliana. How did our brother, Apostle Peter, feel when he was commanded to break his food boundary by eating ‘unclean’ animals in Acts 10: 12-15 in the Bible? I like to think that Papa God uses that example to demonstrate that our love for all people should be sincere  as said in Romans 1:16 -18 in the Bible.

Would you break boundaries in your writing to prove a point? Can you give examples of people you know in the Bible, who broke boundaries or conventions with Jewish traditions?




Sophia Anyanwu is British Nigerian, lives in SE London and is an Educationist. She is a multi-genre writer and poet.   She is a member of the Association of Christian Writers, UK. All about Sophia and her books are available on her website: www.olusolasophiaanyanwuauthor.com and Amazon.

#amwriting #fantasy #romance #reviewer #ACW #game #christianfiction #ACW

#TheCaptivesCrown



 

Comments

  1. Sophia, thank you for being brave enough to step out and break boundaries and open enough to admit it. It is not always easy. I did it with Legacy of the Mimics and received some flack for it (seriously), but we/I write what we/I feel God is leading us to write - that is what matters. Your blog is so encouraging and reassuring, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting and thought-provoking piece, Sophia. I suppose we all have our own limits and views on what is acceptable in God's eyes. I would immediately think of Francine Rivers' Redeeming Love and her take on the Gomer story. Some of it very painful to read, but such a good piece of work. I'd love to know what others think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points about Redeeming Love - which I read many years ago, and thought verywell presented.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your encouragement, Ruth.Blessings.

      Delete
  3. I feel we need to read around, note what is going on, try to write within our faith beliefs. Funnily enough, some of what others write (eg Ruth L!) I wouldn't - but I am guessing much of what I do, they would not! Readers can choose books: we don't need to be unnecessarily fearful of upsetting them, nor of God's disapproval. Would we do certain things ourselves? Do we need to be as graphic as some contemporary authors? I feel quite sad that other believers might say that we should not criticise in our fiction some common Church practices or 'inauthentic' behaviour, but I'm well aware that Christians do bad things, or hide who they really are - sometimes for what they think are good reasons. All stuff to think about. What makes you sad when you read a book? Read Sally Rooney's novels, and think about how we can write with more positivity than people find in their ordinary daily lives as told in these stories... Very good post to make us think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouragement, Clare. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great article, Sophia. A topic very close to my heart. I get irritated with some of the no-go areas in Christian fiction in traditional Christian publishing when actually that is focused on a very narrow aspect of what might be considered sin. It's ok to describe violence or proud thinking but not ok to have characters swear or have sex. I don't believe in pushing boundaries for the sake of it, but for the sake of a story whose overall purpose is redemptive then why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement, Katherine. I agree with you. Blessings.

      Delete
  6. Exactly what has presented itself to me whilst writing my first attempt of an historical fiction (still in draft). For my characters to be ‘real’ they might do things & say things I wouldn’t be comfortable with personally. Sex & swearing are two obvious areas. I’ll be happy to see what experienced editors think! But also my conscience might have some wisdom. Thanks for your post Sophia…bullseye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really blessed me this, John! Thanks for the encouragement. Blessings

      Delete
  7. With fiction, you have permission to break boundaries and the truth is no matter what you write, someone will have something to complain about. Personally I think as far as you are right with God, that’s what matters. But we all have personal convictions and invincible boundaries both self made and truama made. It’s not about right or wrong, but about what’s right for you in line with God. As far as we don’t judge others. I enjoyed this blog thanks

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your encouragement, Amanda.Yeah, we shouldn't judge. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment