Spring-like Writing by Allison Symes

Image Credit:  Images created in Book Brush using Pixabay photos.

I associate spring with new life, a world reborn, light overcoming dark winter, and energy as I see growth around me. How can this apply to our writing?

It can apply to the mood of our writing. Spring is generally upbeat. So our writing can be upbeat. Some of the most positive stories are about characters who overcome darkness and come into the light. 

 

 

There is no room for twee writing, ever. Something has to happen so your story is a story. A tale where Character A overcomes the situation they’re in will keep a reader hooked and you too as you write it. It is always a good sign when you want to find out what happens! 

I say that as someone who plans their characters and what I must know about them. I don’t plan out every detail. I give myself manoeuvre room, space for creativity to kick in, and a “live” character will take you on their journey with them. You’re the first who wants to see what they’re capable of after all.

 

I might know my character is brave but will that trait make them show courage or will it make them reckless? I want to find out.

We see many fallible people in the Bible, whom God uses for His purposes. Have you got a purpose for your characters? The answer should be an emphatic yes. There must be a point to your characters. Why must you write about them? What intrigues you about them should intrigue a reader too.

 

Also, a good story, regardless of length, should have an energy of its own. It is its own self-contained world and readers should be able to lose themselves in what you have created. I know. No pressure then! This is where I’m convinced if you get the character right, the rest follows. 

 

Name a story you remember from your childhood you have not re-read. I suspect it will be the character(s) you recall.That is how it should be.

I can’t say I write more during the cheerier times of year, and spring is one, the other is autumn.

Equally beautiful but just in a different way. Beauty in nature, being able to get out and about to appreciate some of it, means I come back to my desk refreshed and ready to write). I know my mood lifts from the spring  as we get the lighter evenings back again. A mood lift can do wonders for your writing.

Focusing on cheerier pieces of writing too (short or long) can help lift the mood. Writing to entertain is a valid thing to do. If you entertain yourself, there is every likelihood your writing will entertain others and that is so worthwhile. Who knows how being taken out of their cares while reading your story will help your readers? We plant the seed - and the idea of it being an upbeat one appeals to me a lot. 

Happy writing - in every sense!

Comments

  1. I love the idea of stories being a self-contained world that readers can lose themselves in. I've just had that experience with the novel I've most recently finished. 'Beyond the Samovar' by Janet Hancock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Katherine. I love losing myself in books whether it is something by Wodehouse, Pratchett, Austen or something on the non-fiction line. For me it is a sign of a successful book and story when you can do that.

      Delete
  2. Spring is definitely a season that encourages us to feel positive. It brings out the poet inside us.
    On the other hand, it is amazing how some writers can take us right into the minds of their characters, sometimes making us sympathetic towards 'bad' people. Sebastian Faulkes does it with 'Engleby'. The reader starts to understand him. Possibly written in darkest winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Spring is a great energiser for writing. I also love the idea of losing myself in the world of books, both the ones I'm reading and the ones I'm writing. Thank you for these thoughts, Allison 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Allison. The hope and joy of Spring surviving a harsh, bleak winter is always such a boost of energy to me too. I love the worlds of stories too, though I often find they take the reader through the range of seasons and I love it when they end in a Spring-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is something so uplifting about a positive story ending. And so needed too in a world full of doom and gloom, Dawn.

      Delete
  5. Happy writing to you too, Allison! I do agree about the life Spring brings in to our writings as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. Spring is a season of hope and I hope we can reflect that in at least some of what we write.

      Delete
  6. I love spring. Autumn used to be my favourite season but I've recently changed horses in mid stream. It's incredibly inspiring smelling all the beautiful fragrances and watching the new green shoots coming up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment