Paid? By Kathleen McAnear Smith

 

   Paid?


Psalm 128: 2 You shall eat the fruit of the labour of your hands;you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.


The verse above has stopped me in my tracks. I am working hard. So are a lot of people. Yet, when my prayer partner discussed her challenge concerning doing too much for free I knew I needed to listen.

 Annabelle (real prayer partner but not her real name) said she had just had another phone call asking if, as a Christian, she would do coaching for free. She would love to. She has that kind of spirit of generosity.


Annabelle is sensible as well as generous, so she made a quick assessment of how much she was doing for free and the accounts books looked a little unbalanced. Wow. Annabelle might not be eating from the fruit of her labours if she kept up the free stuff. Yes, she prays about all her work, and always wants to serve God. 


As I listened, I did my own inventory. I love to write blogposts. Next to working on my novel about seven outrageous grandmothers, it is my favourite thing to do. I checked my own financial books, and I had to admit that I was challenged by lower royalties this year ( three “how to books”). I also could do with facing the numerical facts which indicated that my writing-hands might benefit with a blogpost or two that pays ( and yes, self doubt about ability comes into this).


I have gone online and seen the adverts for writing posts for pay, but all that I have found so far charge  for being on their list. I’d be paying out before I was even paid. I have no problem with paying my dues in the writing world, but I truly need to see and seek how God wants to establish the work of my hands so that there is fruit abounding. Before anyone replies that my writing might have blessed someone and that should be enough, especially as I do have more than enough to put food on my table, I want to say again that this verse has stopped me in my tracks. I know when the Holy Spirit is trying to get a word into my spirit. As I seek God’s leading on this topic I begin to see the point of getting paid: my heart is to bless and bless others from a full table of fruit. 


At the end of our discussion Annabelle decided she would continue to coach for free, but she would only do a portion of her work for free. She even established a waiting list for those that were seeking free coaching. She looks forward to blessing people with her time and expertise but it would be out of the earnings from paid coaching. 


 I’ve made a start in praying, pondering, supposing about paid posts and have set a goal of finding at least one blogpost in which I might be paid. It’s a start.


Father God, we know your retirement benefits are out of this world and you provide for all you call us to do. I simply ask that you show me the next step in getting paid for the writing You call me to write. Love, Kathleen


Comments

  1. What a blessing this morning! A big AMEN to the prayer verse from Psalm 128 in the name of our Lord Jesus. Just the perfect verse to share!! As I read your post,two things from scripture came into my mind: People perish from ignorance and wisdom is the principal key. So therefore, the gifts of God add no sorrow but give peace. Use your talents as you are led by God's spirit. I used to do lessons/coaching but gave affordable prices. While others charged £10 per hour, I charged £5. Motivation is important for some people. PLEASE IF YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN GET PAID FOR MY POSTS,PLS GIVE ME A SHOUT. I will willingly grab it. I will see it as a blessing from God too. A worker is worthy of thier wage. God bless Annabelle! May God answer your prayers and gift you with a paid blog post,AMEN. Great post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia! I’ve had my head down for my Hebrew exam and so encouraging to read this today!

      Delete
  2. It's a difficult question. A good friend told me she feels closest to God when she's being kind and giving her time freely in kindnesses. Writers like to be valued for their skills, but is there sometimes a fine line between giving of your skill freely and being taken for granted? Only asking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a fine line, I totally agree. I don't think it's different for any profession so why should it be for writers? As a Christian teacher, I expect to get paid for what I do. I have on occasion, tutored children without charging when led to, but that has been the exception rather than the rule. Having said all that, I'm finding at the moment that, with a book coming out, there are blogs /articles I'm being invited to write which won't earn me anything in themselves. But they will hopefully result in some extra sales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got in a bit of trouble when I expressed my feelings about people being paid a realistic amount for 'speaking' - because I was kind of taken aback, having simply been used to people not expecting a fee ( to talk to a smallish group for example) and I have never felt, being 'only me' as it were - not trained or a 'name' - that I should expect money in return. On the other hand, running a women's group, we gave a small gift to the speaker. Now, I am talking about whatI was doing some years - say even 20 - years ago... and I haven't 'up-dated' perhaps. Maybe it was being raised not to put money first when asked to do something. I have no idea whether my Mum, when she occasionally coached small children with their reading/maths while she was teaching in a pre-prep school, was paid... Should we expect money? Should we see this as a 'Christian' issue? Does whether we have a 'need' be the deciding factor? I'm interested to know this - and no, I don't think people should *expect* if a person is 'a Christian' that person doesn't get paid - that outlook would be exploitation wouldn't it? On the other hand, some people may see it as part of their 'service' to offer free help in these areas... Fraught subject , isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a difficult subject. I was really interested to read how you are being led, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment