IN PRAISE OF PODCASTS

 

I spend a surprising amount of my life in my car. I commute to two different work bases and visit patients in their homes across a wide area. Sometimes I joke that my car is my office! Then there’s the regular long distance journeys to visit a child in Yorkshire or our other home in Cornwall.

To make the miles pass quicker or to give my mind a break, I often listen to the radio (Scala for relaxation, Radio 4 for stimulation), sometimes to audio books (A Christmas Carol, War of the Worlds, The Hobbit), but increasingly to podcasts.

And whilst this blog is about Christian writing as opposed to speaking, I want to recommend some to you, as sources for inspiration, learning, contemplation, and enjoyment. There is a lot of choice but these are some of my favourites:

Something Rhymes With Purple:

Gyles Brandreth and Susie Dent explore the etymology or words and sayings on a different topic each week, three ‘words of the week’ deserving of wider use, and a poem. Fascinating and entertaining.

Frank Skinner’s Poetry Podcast:

I’ve mentioned this before but a couple of great series analysing specific poems in an accessible but knowledgeable way. Frank is great communicator and enthusiast. It has made me read more widely.

Talking Theology:

From Cranmer Hall, Durham University, a series of conversations with academics and church leaders, such as Paula Gooder, Rowan Williams, or John Swinton with the aim of linking theology with day to day life. They cover a wide range of subjects, including psychology, humour, multiculturalism. The current series focuses on science and faith.

Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster:

The comedians interview a different guest each week, using the structure of the courses of an ideal meal in a dream restaurant (with James the fictitious genie waiter). Some of the language can be a bit fruity, depending on the guest (the inimitable Miriam Margoyles should come with her own language warning!) but it’s fascinating to hear what food choices reveal about different personalities and their histories.

Wind of Change:

A documentary series about the theory that the song Wind of Change was written by the FBI! It covers politics, song writing, the history of spying, how popular culture has been used for propaganda and spying, and more. Well written and intriguing.

Commuter Bible:

Straightforward Bible readings. You can choose from New or Old Testament or a combination, which takes you through the whole Bible in a year. There’s something about hearing the Bible that stimulates my thinking in a different way to reading it. And I’m reminded that books like Paul’s letters would have been read out loud to their audience too.

You’re Dead to Me:

A combination of historians and comedians, talking about the past. Lighthearted learning, separating fact from fiction for the well known as well as introducing lesser known figures and themes, from Rameses to Josephine Baker, witches to general elections.

Do you listen to podcasts? How do they influence you? What others would you recommend? Or do you have your own? I’d love to hear.

Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adults. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/, has two WIPs and more ideas in the pipeline. 

Comments

  1. Two I would recommend are Annmarie Miles' 'Words, Wobbles & Wisdom' for anyone who has struggles with their weight and needs encouragement. She's funny and very listenable-to. Another regular listen is Scotland Outdoors on BBC Sounds - a nature programme made in (you guessed it) Scotland and probably one of the best UK nature programmes around. Again, funny presenters, and lots of interesting features including a 'Mystery Bird' slot - they play a bird sound and people ring in to guess it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BBC Sounds has some great resources! But will definitely check out Annmarie's too

      Delete
  2. I've never really got into podcasts, except our own Wendy Jones excellent ones. I haven't worked out how to use my audible books even in the car and so podcasts is probably beyond me. In the short trips I usually make I'm afraid I only listen to Radio 2. Perhaps it's an age thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rely on Spotify, which is on my phone and then works through Android Auto, Sheila. But maybe I'll write another post about great radio - Radio 4 and Scala are my favourites.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating Liz! I don't really listen to podcasts much (I can't work out the technology in the car) but I should! I have heard of You're Dead to Me. I listened to a few episodes of Table Manners recently. That's Jessie Ware and her mother interviewing guests and cooking for them. I think podcasts are a great source of inspiration for writers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Liz. I'll try these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for these brilliant recommendations, Liz! I listen to BBC Sounds a lot and would like to listen to more podcasts but I don't quite understand how to. My kids tell me you have to download various apps to your phone and I never know which ones would be best for the kinds of things I like listening to. You have inspired me to do some research on this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Deborah - if you like BBC Sounds, you'll find plenty more to like. I tend to use Spotify mainly.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Fran :) xx I also love Frank Skinner's poetry podcast. I could listen to him all day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know Liz, thanks. And when you are at home , what do you listen to at the background to keep your mind relaxed whilst writting? For this, I listen to You tubes collections of ' Music to to relieve stress, Relaxing and anti stress music, etc etc. Lovely post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question, Sophia. I don't usually have anything on in the background when I write - I think I'd find it distracting. But I do like Scala radio (modern classical) and in the evenings their In The Space programme is very relaxing.

      Delete
  8. Some excellent ideas, Liz. I am retired and don't commute or take to the roads that often but we listen to podcasts over lunch. Thank you for your excellent ideas. You may be interested in the thirteen episodes that I produced last autumn in which a different guest each week talks about how faith works for them against the background of their part of the planet. https://open.spotify.com/show/6vBZmnaMuCXGdO3ry9cIgm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment