How to celebrate in hard times - Five examples from books, by Deborah Jenkins

 


As my slot for More than Writers is on the 11th, I am privileged, once a year, to post on my birthday. Well today is not only the biggest birthday I've ever had (imagine!), but it ends with a zero. I know!! I have to be honest, I've tried to be a person who embraces the ripening years with open arms and a love-your-wrinkles mindset. But it's never really worked.

Until now. The atrocities in Ukraine as well as elsewhere in the world, in conjunction with Covid, political concerns and the rise of Awfulness Everywhere has made me more sanguine about it. I am blessed. I have a faith which sustains me, a wonderful family, great friends and satisfying work. I live in a safe place, am relatively healthy and marginally sane. Above all, I'm still here. And for all the reasons above, some are not.

But how to celebrate at a time when others are suffering? Anyone else feel a simmering guilt at the moment when you laugh uncontrollably/go out for a meal/pay for something you don't really need? So I decided to turn to books, as ever, for inspiration. Here are some passages from favourite books about the art of celebration in hard times: -

1. ‘Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents,’ grumbled Jo, lying on the rug. ‘It’s so dreadful to be poor!’ sighed Meg, looking down at her old dress. ‘I don’t think it’s fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls nothing at all,’ added little Amy, with an injured sniff. ‘We’ve got Father and Mother, and each other,’ said Beth contentedly from her corner....' Little Women, Louise M Alcott

2. 'Suddenly the day seemed really Fourth of July. Ma made sandwiches, Pa blacked his boots, Laura and Carrie hurriedly dressed up. Luckily Laura's sprigged calico was freshly washed and ironed. She and Carrie took turns at the washbasin, scrubbing their faces and necks and ears pink. Over their unbleached muslin union suits they put on crackling stiff petticoats of bleached muslin. They brushed and braided their hair.' Little Town on the Prairie, Laura Ingalls Wilder


3.'He looked for a moment at Elizabeth, till catching her eye, he withdrew his own and coldly said, 'She is tolerable but not handsome enough to tempt me; and I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men...' 

Elizabeth remained with no very cordial feelings towards him. She told the story however with great spirit among her friends; for she had a lively playful disposition that delighted in anything ridiculous.' Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

4. It isn't that...it isn't that, Spirit. He has the power to render us happy or unhappy, to make our service light or burdensome: a pleasure or a toil. Say that his power lies in words and looks, in things so slight and insignificant that it is impossible to add or count 'em up. What then? The happiness he gives (with his modest Christmas party) is just as great as if it cost a fortune' A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

I've lost my copy of the book!

5.'Jesus said to the servants, 'Fill the jars with water; so they filled them to the brim. Then he said to them, 'Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.' John 2: 7-9

They did so and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine.'


These remind me: -

  • Celebrations are about valuing others as well as ourselves
  • The rituals of celebrating - special clothes, food, events - help make the memories we cherish
  • Delight is still possible in the face of difficulty
  • Simplicity can say more than sophistication
  • Jesus knew how to party
I don't really like ageing but I love celebrating. In fact, I love it so much that my book contains a party, the kind of party I'd love to go to (you could buy it to find out?😉)

Ukraine is on my heart; I will continue to give and pray and trust that God is here. 
I will also try to welcome the ripening years but...


Why don't you drop a comment below telling me what your ideal celebration would be like. 

Go on, it's my birthday 😊

Deborah Jenkins is the author of textbooks, educational articles and a novellaThe Evenness of Things, available in paperback and as a kindle e-book.  

Her novel, Braver, will be published on 30 June 2022 by Fairlight Books. You can read more about it, and pre-order via the publisher here or on Amazon.









Deborah wonders aloud about the crazy, inspiring and inappropriate, on her blog, stillwonderinghere.net











 

Comments

  1. Happy birthday, dear friend. You've barely begun! My ideal celebration is just about the people who come. I'm looking forward to the one in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. It's all about the other people really isn't it? Yes, that one should be a lot of fun! Thank you my friend 🙂

      Delete
  2. I was going to say to you, what about the wedding at Cana! I'm so glad Jesus knows how to party. I'm looking forward to seeing how this manifests in eternity. I think one of my favourite celebrations was my 50th birthday when all three of my kids were 'the band' at my party and kept popping up in different rooms of the house, doing impromptu 'gigs' and drawing mini-crowds. That was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that does sound brilliant! Yes, the one in heaven should be a goodie. Thanks, Pal!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday Deborah! Thank you for quoting from some of my favourite books. A great start to the day. My ideal celebration would be all my favourite people in the back garden with a huge table set out covered in yummy food which contained no calories, music playing in the background and an unlimited amount of time to chat and laugh together. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes that sounds amazing! I hope your family are reading this! Glad you enjoyed the quotes. Thanks a lot, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Deborah!
    My prayer for you is that in this new age of yours, your strength shall be renewed.You will mount up with wings as eagles. You will run and not be weary and you shall walk and not faint in the name of our Lord Jesus. Amen.
    And as for those tell tale signs of 'certain ages', I will share just one tip against it here: Tell yourself you are 30 and put a mental clap on that age!! So as a new thirty year old, go out to some exotic dancing club with your hubby and dance with each other as you look into each others eyes... [ I'm a romance writer]! Enjoy your new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday and you are worth celebrating! I love the wedding at Cana story too, a people living under Roman occupation and yet still celebrating, and Jesus making it the best party ever! I just love being surrounded by family and friends. My 40th was a blast - a full on barn dance - but these days I'd just be grateful for sitting around the table with good food and a lot of laughs. God is the bringer of joy, so it is ok to be joyful even when things are tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Thank you, Joy. Your 40th sounds amazing!

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure which milestone you are celebrating, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I choose joy every year that I am here. We are not guaranteed tomorrow and I am enjoying being alive, watching my kids grow into young adults, and grower older with my best friend. I am going to cherish these moments as long as God allows me to. I think with the way the world is now we need to celebrate the big things (birthdays) and those little things that we can struggle with at times (I got out of bed today!). God is so good to us and I hope this is your best birthday yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Deborah - love your post and all these quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Deborah. You reminded me of a quote by Margaret Atwood, who wrote, 'Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.' My thoughts exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love that! Thank you, Veronica for that great quote and for your kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many, many happy returns, Deborah, and I hope you had a lovely birthday. You've made me want to read Little Women! We have the Wyonna Ryder version, and saw the latest one, which had some great points too, especially the ending! I think like many have already said, my ideal party would have my friends and loved ones, delicious home made food, and the perfect dance floor fillers. Can't wait to read your book! Bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Somewhat overdue getting to this (very belated birthday wishes!), but absolutely loved it. What a great selection of book passages too. Thanks so much. Hope you had a ball.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment