The Sere and Yellow Leaf

It’s late afternoon on the first day of November. Outside the bedroom window, copper, ruby and yellow leaves wave gently in the breeze, falling softly on the tennis court and the football field beyond the bungalow. The elderly man, dozing in bed beside his wife hears the back door opening. Getting carefully out of bed, he shuffles through his house, to be confronted by a tall, muscular young man with a mop of red curly hair. 

“Who are you?” he asks, unworried, because this is rural Suffolk and everyone leaves their doors unlocked. The answer puzzles him. “Do you live here?” He frowns, his green eyes clouded now in extreme old age.

He has known this red-headed stranger for all his eighteen years of life. He rejoiced when he was told he would be a grandfather in eight months’ time on Christmas Day, 2002. He was the first visitor, along with his wife and younger daughter when the little boy was born. He’s watched him grow from a chubby baby to a roly-poly toddler, to a school boy and now to an adult with a girlfriend and a love of music. But he has no idea who he is. 

“I need to find where Jean’s living so I can go back and see her,” he tells the young man.

 “Grandma’s in the bedroom, Grandpa,” his grandson assures him. “She’s having a nap.”

Gently, he takes his grandfather’s arm and steers him back to his bedroom. His grandmother is asleep in bed, the covers pulled up to her chin. He settles the old man back in bed, reassures him once more and goes home, having cut the grass and trimmed the hedges.

And this is now my reality. My parents moved up to Suffolk from Essex nearly three years ago. They were still living fairly independently until a few months ago, but now, after a series of falls and illnesses, they’ve got a live-in carer and are starting to give up on life. They are 91 and 96 so it’s to be expected. 

Many of you will read these words and wonder how I am, if I’m coping, what I’m doing to deal with this difficult situation. Writing. That’s what. The older I get, the more I find that emotions, particularly difficult and tangled ones, can be addressed and illuminated via the written word.

Of late, with two full-time jobs, my parents and three teenage children, I’ve found myself writing my MTW blog late at night on the 6th or even, catastrophically, on the morning of the 7th itself. Just eighteen months ago, like the excited newbie I was, I was brimming over with ideas and often scheduled blogs months in advance. 

Not no more. 

I’ve often quoted Wordsworth. “Poetry is emotion recollected in tranquillity.” So what is prose, then? I came across some words from Virginia Woolf which hit the spot for me. “The poet gives us his essence, but prose takes the mould of the body and mind entire.” 

The way I learned to get through life from an early age was to deflect, to construct a smiling exterior which rebuffed awkward questions. I’m still really good at pretending, but I don’t do it so much anymore. It’s true what they say. The older you get, the less you pretend. It’s just too tiring and anyway, these days, like my on-trend creation Isabella M Smugge, I prefer authenticity. 

I always loved reading and yearned to write. Now, I write every day and don’t have so much time for reading. But that’s OK, because the tens of thousands of books I’ve consumed since the age of four are still residing in my mind, releasing half-forgotten words and phrases whenever I need them. 

As a child and teenager, I lost myself in the world of books. Going to parties and having lots of drinks to help me to be the life and soul was the way I dealt with difficult feelings in my twenties. Working far too hard and taking on a million and one projects took me through my thirties. The children and work dealt with the forties and now in my fifties, the right side of nearly five years of counselling, I’m back to my first love. 

Whatever happens, and there is only one direction this kind of thing can go in, I’ve got the joy of reading and writing left to me. These days, spending more time in tranquillity and relative calm, I’m far more likely to hear that still small voice offering words of comfort. 

When you were young you dressed yourself and went wherever you wished, but when you get old you’ll have to stretch out your hands while someone else dresses you and takes you where you don’t want to go.” 

I’ve often read those words, but they’ve never been truer than they are today, as the vibrant, beautiful leaves are blown from the treetops and drift in great heaps towards the earth.

Images by Pixabay

Ruth is a novelist and freelance writer, the author of “The Diary of Isabella M Smugge” and “The Trials of Isabella M Smugge”. She writes for a number of small businesses and charities, reviews books for Reading Between the Lines and blogs at ruthleighwrites.co.uk. You can find her on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter at ruthleighwrites and at her website, www.ruthleighwrites.co.uk.

 

Comments

  1. I don't really agree with Wordsworth on that - I think that if I waited until a moment of tranquillity before I put emotion down on paper, I'd have lost something. Maybe it should be 'write when you're feeling emotional but edit when you've calmed down'! Anyway, glad you're having more calm, Ruth. Goodness knows, you need those moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - if ever I write a poem, it's in the heat of the moment, not when I'm all calm and resigned!

      Delete
  2. Vivid start, brings dementia to life. Yes, we go through phases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written out of your authentic self. 😘 Keep writing honey and keep listening because He is speaking to you and through you 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. A much needed encouragement.

      Delete
  4. I do agree with you Ruth about 'the joy of reading and writing' left to you - and jopefully to all of us. It is a precious gift for us to have right through to the end of our lives. One of the saddest thing I feel about extreme aging is when the aged can no longer read or even take pleasure from listening to stories in the form either of audiobooks or someone to read to them. As for writing, PG Wodehouse was working on a funny young-at-heart novel right up until the end of his life (age 95 I think). That was Sunset at Blandings. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was! I'd forgotten that. An encouraging reminder. My parents were still reading avidly up to a couple of weeks ago.

      Delete
  5. Oh Ruth, I so know these feeing and I, too, often think of that verse from the bible, when walking with my mum and mum in law. I agree with you completely about reading writing too. It brings us through a multitude of troubles. Great post and love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah. Difficult times, it's true but writing and reading help so much xx

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Ruth, such a beautiful blog. Interesting how we go through phases. Praying for enduring peace and calm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad reading this, Ruth. Sending you and your mum and dad lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is sad, but I am really feeling the love from so many dear friends like you x

      Delete
  8. Interesting post that makes me reflect on the future! Will God spare my life to 96 like your dad? Well, thank God that noone can pretend to God. He sees it all and knows us all so well. Even if times get so 'busy', noone can take away the creativity in us. Like you look at the season you are in and in your heart you are writing or pouring oit your thoughts that bless on MTW. May the Holy Spirit in you rise above every unsettling wave and grant you calm and peace in Lord Jesus Christ's name.Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As main carer for extremely elderly parents for 14 years (until a year last April when Mum died just after lockdown) I have every sympathy Ruth. A former nurse, I am a fixer and prided myself that when there was a problem I could come up with the solution – until the last 15 months for each when I lost my bearings and had to let both go into care homes...... That verse from scripture came to me powerfully. It was not where any of us wanted to be! Unlike you I have not managed to keep writing. My mojo is at rock bottom and I miss Mum more than I could have imagined. God bless you. Accept all the support you can and don't try to be superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it will come back Eileen. Grief and bereavement cripple creativity, often, but it will return. No, my days of trying to be all things to all men are over! I just haven't got the energy

      Delete
  10. I liked this: so straightforward and just facing the thing, and how hard it can be. An somehow complementing the excitement you rightly feel over your success with the Issy Smugge books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Clare. Yes. No point beating about the bush. And quite right, my life is a balance between joy, excitement and whatever emotions are contained in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful and thought-provoking words. You hit my heart and I wiped away a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also find writing cathartic and great for untangling emotions.
    Lovely words, hope we get to meet up properly for a cuppa soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This felt like unwrapping a precious book, Ruth. Your opening was gorgeous and beautifully moving, and the way you wrote, I felt like turning a page for each stage of your life, and I believe and hope their are many pages still left to be written on. Thank you for sharing your story, and may you know God's closeness during this tender time x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment