Are we done yet? by Jane Walters

I had dinner with new friends a few nights ago. A year after moving to a new town, I’m settled but still finding my feet and this particular evening was all about developing relationship. They know I’m writer and the conversation soon moved in my direction.

‘Are you writing anything at the moment?’ the host asked. 


‘Always’ was my ready reply.

But, being the over deep thinker that I am, I found myself mulling over that answer. It might well be true that I’m always writing at the moment, but will there come a day when I stop? My writing heroine, Beatrix Potter, gave it all up to raise sheep. Will I recognise when it’s time to metaphorically do likewise?

In another context, I heard a story about a lady who worked as a cook in a large conference centre. She’d been there for some time and the venue had an outstanding reputation for its food. One lunch-time, without any real explanation, she burned all of the quiches. In her words, ‘I knew in that moment that God had removed his anointing from my work and I handed in my notice that same day.’

Her reaction seems a little extreme – especially since the obvious tip is to peel off the leather-like top, sprinkle more cheese on and ram it under the grill so no-one is any the wiser. (An equally obvious tip is to just buy one…) But it demonstrates the point that we have a limited shelf-life, if you’ll excuse the pun. Margaret Mitchell famously only wrote one book, though it happened to be a complete belter. Did she imagine her writing career would be so focussed? Perhaps she wore herself out in the attempt? All I know is that I feel I’m barely getting started and imagine still reaching for a notebook and pen on my death-bed.

During the Writing Outside the Box writing retreat last week, the opening session concentrated on the Writing Journey. I took, by way of analogy, a look at my experience of fell-walking in the Lake District. Trudging upwards is exhausting, the goal feeling ever-elusive. Sometimes, the landscape plays a trick on you and the ‘summit’ turns out to be a mere mid-point, with the true destination some distance above you. Perhaps it’s alright to stop where you are, content with the view from this far up. Or, then again, the sight of cloud-topped fells may be enough to spur you on to greater heights. Only time will tell which one I went for…



Jane Walters is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (Jane Clamp, SPCK) and vice-chair of ACW. She broadcasts regularly on UCB and leads Christian writing retreats in various venues.

Find out more at www.janewyattwalters.com

Comments

  1. Ha - love the quiche story! I was only thinking yesterday that, having had a book published for the first time (by someone else) at 58, I had made quite a late start. Hopefully, I'll live until 136 and can then claim a full career as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're ahead of me Fran as I'm already 58 and I haven't published anything yet!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely brilliant Jane. I especially love all the stories you have included with a pinch of humour (the quiche lady made me chuckle!). I feel like you I might be picking up a pen and paper until the very end, but sometimes the 'trudging upwards' really does take it out of you. I am only now starting to confidently call myself a writer. Imposter syndrome ever present. But onwards AND upwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. Imposter syndrome sits on my shoulder but I'm increasingly learning how to make it shut up - by simply carrying on writing anyway!

      Delete
  3. Remember that gift of humour that came across loud & clear at the ACW AGM, Jane. You have a long way to go yet imho 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so encouraging, Jane. Many thanks xx

      Delete
  4. A considering what you said very dutifully because as far as age and success go, I'm over the hills and a great way off. Is this the beginning of the end or the final push? Think I'll just write a few more pages and see where it takes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Veronica, keep looking up and ahead. Your output so far is inspirational and I'm sure you're far from done...

      Delete
  5. Interesting and thought provoking, Jane. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. I hope your journey isn't too trudging at the moment.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant as always. And of course it had to be quiches, that staple Christian food, that had the anointing removed. I published my first book at 54, so there is hope for us all. The trudging is the worst bit. I like the fun times, making stuff up and getting nice reviews. The awful bits (waking up in the middle of the night asking yourself, "WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK ARE YOU DOING, RUTH?" are not so good. But we all have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've eaten more quiche in my life than is feasibly possible...

      Delete
    2. The Bible says we should greet one another with a holy quiche, so I think they have a special blessing on them.

      Delete
  7. A lovely post, Jane. For me it is important to remember the climb ever upwards has different resting and vantage points, perhaps a few detours as you mentioned during your Writer's Journey talk. But I am still climbing, and I don't think that will ever change, although perhaps if I 'burn a quiche' book-wise I might change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vantage point is a lovely phrase. Stopping to look at the view while we rest. I like that.

      Delete
  8. Very thought provoking, Jane. I found spending so long writing, and editing, a whole novel wonderful but intense and exhausting. While I'm waiting for it to be published, I've started a book of short stories which seems somehow more manageable. Perhaps different forms of writing is something to consider as we get older and tireder! Great post. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alternating writing tasks is a great way of keeping light and shade in our routine. Thanks for reading and commenting, Deborah xx

      Delete
  9. Thank you, I loved this. I love writing, although some evenings I have to make myself, knowing once I start, I'll have a wonderful time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so easy to think we’re too tired, isn’t it? Yet, I find writing gives me such a boost even on my off days.

      Delete
  10. Great post. The cook's experience reminded me of 11/11/11, when I heard such an experience. God does things for certain reasons for our good! It is always Time that tells...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment