Inspired


I love peeking into the minds of writers to understand what inspired them to write their own novels. Personally, there is nothing better than to lose myself in another world whether it be a magical, geographical, historical, or psychological one. Somewhere that captures my imagination and takes me on a new journey. Perhaps Venice during the second world war or Christmas in a Cotswold’s kitchen, warm with the aroma of gingerbread but wherever it is, it is a momentary respite from my current reality. Yes, these novels are my escape but they are also my inspiration. 

How many times have you read a book and exclaimed “I can’t get enough of this beautiful language!” or “What a fabulous idea!” or “Fancy making the character do that! I would never have thought of it!” How many times do you think “Right, enough reading for now! It’s time to get on with mine!” I’m inspired to write.

I decided to do a little bit of research to discover the authors that inspire other famous authors:

Ernest Hemmingway described books as his “loyal friends” and in 1935 published a list of seventeen books that had inspired him to write. Among them were Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights and Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

As a child, CS Lewis created a whole world of personified animals to escape the miserable reality of boarding school. Later, he was inspired by the Bible and his magical world to write a series of adventures for children that would display friendship, bravery, honesty and kindness. 

Best-selling author, Neil Gaiman was inspired by CS Lewis and when reading The Chronicles of Narnia as a child he decided he would become a writer.

Philip Pullman hated CS Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia and was inspired to write His Dark Materials almost as an antidote.

JK Rowling attributes Jane Austin and E Nesbit’s The Story of the Treasure Seekers as her inspiration to write.

Mrs Peggotty - David Copperfield 

Me? Well, the list is rather long but includes CS Lewis’s Narnia stories, Michelle Magorian’s Goodnight Mr. Tom, everything written by Daphne Du Maurier, Noel Streatfeild’s  A Vicarage Family and The Bell Family, Eve Garnett’s Family from One End Street, Charles Dicken’s David Copperfield and Great Expectations, Ernest Hemmingway’s For Whom the Bell Tolls, JRR Tolkien’s Hobbit, JK Rowling’s Harry Potter, Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, Khaled Hosseini’s Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak… I was and still am the proverbial bookworm. As I worm my way through each book they too worm their way into my brain, find a cosy corner and curl up. Forever in my head to inspire and encourage. 



Which author has most inspired you to write?



*sources: wanderingeducators.com, Ericawagner.co.uk, study.com, 


Comments

  1. Another devouring worm here, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow worm! Which books most inspire you?

      Delete
  2. Oh I haven't read A Vicarage Family! Thanks! Lovely post, Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely and based on Noel's own family. X

      Delete
    2. I'm wondering, Deborah, if 'The Bell Family' is also (at least partially) autobiographical, please?

      Delete
    3. I think I meant to ask Nikki. My apologies!

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Nikki. I think I would like to read it.

      Delete
  3. Such an inspiring blog! I love CS Lewis, and my kids do too. I love curling up with a good book, so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of anything better...just add a hot mug if chocolate and cosy armchair!

      Delete
  4. You're so right. For me, just the act of reading a book inspires me to write. I think there's always something to learn, even if it's 'I don't want to write like that!' I'm inspired by Elizabeth Strout, Rachel Joyce, Patrick Gale, but also many of the classics such as Jane Austen or P G Wodehouse or Edith Wharton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found myself saying, 'Yes!' after the first four on your list. I also say, 'Yes!' to Margaret Atwood, and Maggie O'Farrell, and my latest 'Yes' goes to Amor Towles for his wonderful 'A Gentleman in Moscow'.

      Delete
  5. Love this ..my book will ooze out of me soon mostly inspired by you and lucinda Reily xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm inspired by Susan Howatch, Daphne du Maurier, PD James... also novels published long ago which I loved like Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbon, and further back The Woman in White and The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. Also in there are books like Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read lots as a child (all the usual, Noel Streatfield, E Nesbit, Alice in Wonderland, Beatrix Potter, Arthur Ransome... and on towards Margaret Drabble, Rumer Godden, Iris Murdock, Kahlid Hosseini, Barbara Kingsolver later - and of course Tolkien. But didn't really catch onto writing fiction, until I got hooked into it by reading mostly novels by American women in a job I did for the OED when the children were babies - work while the baby sleeps stuff. Re what books do well-known writers read, anyone who love Lord of theRings should look out for 'Tolkien's Modern Reading', by Holly Ordway - you will possibly be surprised at the enormous range of his reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire anyone who writes while the children are sleeping! X

      Delete
  8. Like you too many to name - Narnia, The Lord of the Rings, Jane Eyre and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (I credit this last book as giving me courage to write about challenging issues as a Christian),Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, the Duncton Wood series, Memoirs of a Geisha and Anne of Green Gables. All wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, I'd forgotten memoirs of a geisha girl! Great book.

      Delete
    2. Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh!!! Our teacher, Miss Escott, read us that in Class 6. I was gripped!

      Delete
  9. I love this post as it clearly justifies the fantasy world I have run to for the Nano writing stuff. It was interesting to go through your list of books and only to identify works of Charles Dickens , which I only read as a study for exams and not for leisure. But you can't imagine my joy to see that Sheila Skillman, above, in reponse to your post as mentioned one of my favourirte authors - Susan Howatch! I mostly read for curiosity, entertainment and to explore the unknown. I do admire loads of writing styles like Francine Rivers, Kingsbury Anna Jacobs, Lola Shoneyin, Ukamaka Olisakwe, etc etc the list is long too. Like Niki Salt , a cosy arm chair and cake will set me off to enjoying the next book waiting on my 2br list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love love love Francine Rivers! I'm waiting for her to write more!

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness this blog set all my neurons a popping and a fizzing! Like everyone else, too many to mention, but in childhood, Anne of Green Gables, Narnia, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, Carbonel the Witch's Cat, Watership Down, Beatrix Potter, Ballet Shoes - the list goes on! Just about everyone inspires me in some way. Like Sheila, I adore The Moonstone and The Woman in White, as well as Cold Comfort Farm. Add in Austen, Dickens, Trollope (Anthony), Gaskell, Helen Dunmore (an amazing writer if you haven't read her), Carol Shields, Margaret Atwood, EF Benson and you have a good range of the people I love. But the second I hit publish - THE SECOND - a thousand more will come rushing into my head. Which is why this is such a good blog and we're all mentioning so many names. The joy and the individuality of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm inspired by the classic fairytales, C.S. Lewis, P.G.Wodehouse, Agatha Christie, Jane Austen, and J.R.R. Tolkein, oh and Dickens (especially A Christmas Carol). Now there's a mix for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love this post! Like all of you here I was so inspired by so many books in childhood. I just adored White Boots and Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield, and I was transported by the 101.Dalmatians and Gobolino the Witches Cat. Like Ruth I loved Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NiMH, such a great story! CS Lewis obviously and a whole load of Enid Blyton, as well as the Chalet School and also my brother's adventure stories, I think they were called The Three Investigators and I just adored them. Thinking about all these takes me back into those moments of escape and imagination. E Nesbits The Enchanted Castle enchanted me, I loved The Secret Garden and the poetry of TS Eliot. Later I fell in love with Jane Austen and then plunged into a love of historical fiction via my mum's Jean Plaidy collection. So many! Books still weave that magic even now but I must admit I don't read as much as I'd like. Too much time on my phone and screens 😢

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, the Secret Garden and a Little Princess! I loved them too (still do). The moment when Sara wakes up in her attic and opens her eyes to see the fire crackling and the breakfast laid out! I loved it then and I do now

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to add a few that haven't been mentioned yet. Roald Dahl, even his autobiography was a fantastic read. Willard Price - Cannibal adventure, Gorilla Adventure, Lion Adventure - gripping stories, filled with animal facts. Michelle Magorian. I've read Goodnight Mister Tom so many times. It's a book that means a lot to me. Gerald Durrell, - one of the best books we ever read at school. hilarious and captivating. And I could go on, but I'll end with Stephen King. Yes, at times, horrendously gruesome, but I feel that he also excels in pathos too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment