So how do I Get to Know You? by Kathleen Smith

 


and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross. Colossians 1:20

 

 

US Ambassador Lauder, former ambassador to the court of St James, is my inspiration for getting to know people. In his first term of office, he finished work on Fridays and on Saturdays he and some of his guy-friends donned hiking clothes and walked segments of paths from Land’s End to John O’ Groats. The guys decided to make various pubs their daily destination. They had a blast getting to know the pub owners, and while picking up new lingo they made new friends along the way. 

 

These guys never once mentioned their work to any one. They focused on helping the ambassador enjoy being “just some American guy getting to know the countryside.” Someone on this hiking team must have taken notes regarding names and locations of their new British friends, for it didn’t take long for each publican to receive a gilt edged invitation to the United States Ambassadors residence for the upcoming Fourth of July/Independence Day celebration. 

 

On the day the publicans from all over the UK arrived, they just about ganged up on the Ambassador laughing and telling tales of the American guys dressed in lumberjacks* arriving in their pub. They all agreed it was a great way for Ambassador Lauder to get to know British people. It wasn’t about the role he played, it was about who they were and who he was without job titles. 

 

Recently I became a new board member for Families in Global Transition (as Wendy H Jones says “It’s what it says on the tin.”). I decided to try out a variation of ambassador Lauder’s method as I was getting to know my fellow Board members. Though I’d love to do a little hiking, time zones and Covid prevented in- person meet-ups; instead, I asked if I could have a one to one Zoom conversation. I made it clear our conversation wasn’t to chat about what they do in their board position, but to have a relatively brief time for us to just get to know each other. I was pleased to say everyone agreed to this on-boarding request. 


The guys seemed to find this easier than some of the women (including me). We truly tried to share about the country where we presently lived/worked, country of origin, family, hobbies etc; but it was a real challenge. There was far too much to do and the new board member needed to get to work! 


This is the most gracious and joyous team (alongside ACW, of course). Anyone would feel privileged to work with them. Every board member has warmly welcomed me into this new position; and yet, I found myself struggling to hold back work oriented questions.I was so conscious of the privilege of even having time to take those moments to get to know each other before we began working together.

 

This leads me to think about the characters I am now meeting in writing my novel. Often I find myself “giving them jobs” and not taking the time to consider just who they are. (I was going to say “who they really are,” but instantly I recalled my High School English teacher ready to pull her hair out whenever we used the word “really.” )

 

This is Thanksgiving month for me. I am thankful for the time I get, those precious moments, when I allow time in my day to get to know someone a little more. The “who” of a person before their”do.” Even a character in my head.

 

 

* fashion statement


Through the masks is Kathleen (on the left ) and her favourite young entrepreneur Catarina, in Sant El’Pidio a Mare, Italy. (Photo taken October 2021) Kathleen is about to start her new little business, Global Grandmas, encouraging the next generation for great adventures. She has written three books: Parents on the Move!, Beyond Broken Families, and The Miracles of Pierrepont. She has a Master’s Degree in Social Policy and the Spurgeon Award in Chaplaincy. She was recently appointed to the Board of Directors for Families in Global Transition. 







Comments

  1. Interesting what you say at the end, about the 'who' of a person not being 'what they do', yet when we meet it usually becomes a something people use to identify themselves or ask others what they do... It's a kind of 'mapping' where this person is on the cultural map - possible interests, in a church, possible areas they might volunteer for! Income. Tastes. Class. Yet people can and often are not a typical one among whatever they do! In writing, I think it's a bit easier if the story happens to depend on their work - my main characters, a medical student who becomes a GP, and a young woman studying Natural Sciences who ends up in genetic research, needed those careers in order to tell the story! And it happened I has friends in those as well, so I could check out facts and knew what kinds, roughly, they might be... sounds like you meet a wide variety of people in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new role! Glad you have a lot to thank God for this month. May every day of your life be a Thanksgiving experience for you always. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this. "Who" and "do". Exactly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment