The beauty of Midrash!

 


Eve was awake. She was just 2 weeks old in the heavenly realms but it never ceased to amaze her how each day held something new, exciting, exhilarating and even intriguing! The previous day, she had met Mr Serpent again. She had consciously fought dwelling on his appealing and magnetic personality even as she flashed back on the incidence. Was he stalking her? Adam didn’t think so.

‘Hello, beautiful’. She had ignored him but he continued speaking.

‘ I particularly like the way your breasts have been created. They are sexually attractive compared to Mrs Apes’,’ he blurted.

‘What are you talking about?’

‘I can see what you can’t see because I have eaten that apple!

‘If you are here to try and tempt me again, go away! You are not a friend of Abba. I won’t touch it!’ Clicking her tongue, she had walked off in search of Adam.

‘But before you go away, have you never wondered why I’m still alive? Yet, I have tasted it…’

‘Adam?’ she called quietly. ‘Are you awake?’ To her surprise he whispered back…

END OF EXTRACT

 I got thinking. When the saints of God gathered, the devil gathered with them. We hear him talking to God about Job!  Guess what? He whispers that my writing is rubbish!  Dear writers, my advice is:  let us continue to ‘resist the devil and he will flee from us’. [James 4:7b]

From the extract above, I used Midrash. I love using it in my biblical fantasy writing.  In the extract above, am I ‘showing or telling’? What is the difference? I will appreciate your feed backs below! Thanks. Blessings.



 

Sophia Anyanwu lives in SE London with her loving husband.  She’s an educationist, encourager, reviewer, author and poet. She’s an active grandmother to 7 grandchildren when not writing!    She is a member of the Association of Christian Writers, UK. She has published 16 books , which are available on her website: www.olusolasophiaanyanwuauthor.com and Amazon.  You can subscribe to her YouTube channel here: https://bit.ly/3j0oPuy and follow her on all social media here: https://bit.ly/3UG36Kx





Comments

  1. This is a great snapshot of the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sophia! There's so much creativity in your dialogue. Aside, "clicking her tongue," you have done more telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peculiar for your feedback. Really appreciate. Blessings.

      Delete
  3. Intriguing! I'm not great with show not tell as I enjoy both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks so much Maressa!Blessings.

      Delete
    2. So well described Sophia. Also, I read that verse every day, James 4 :7-8 Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you, Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Amen. God bless you.

      Delete
  4. Amen! God bless you too Derrice. Thanks so much. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment