Running: An unlikely writing aid! by Nicky Wilkinson


Running and writing have similarities: it’s a delirious dream when it’s going well, a nightmare to start up again and a dilemma, when midway, you run out of steam; wondering why on earth you ever thought this was a good idea?

My writing practice is increasingly informed by my running one, because I am learning to be kinder to myself!

On running days I anticipate my reluctance to exercise. Getting up, I don the neon Lycra kit and spongy shoes uniform. It consolidates my focus. An alarm goes off 15 mins before departure labelled; ‘Nicky: Go Run!’ It’s that irrefutable instruction to act that reminds me nothing has changed in my planning, only fickle feelings fidgeting in my mind to be ignored. Fill your bottle, set STRAVA ™, unlock the door - rain or shine here we go. 

Post-fractured shoulder, caution persuaded me to experiment, mid-run with a pause. Previously, I would have pushed myself to the limits to get through the Porter Brook Valley: no hesitation, deviation or repetition as Radio 4’s ‘Just a minute’ might demand. Conscious of Fitbit ™ ticking and STRAVA™ calculating: all breaks were then eschewed, and PR beckoned ever upwards, but for what?  I’m only in a race with myself. 

Now, in recovery mode, I have indulged the luxury of a stretch en route. This is not the mortal sin you might think! Taking time out to flex along the way - true - may amused some, but it is definitely preferable to lolloping forward like a grotesque warning to other would-be runners. 

The writing instruction? Mental breaks, like stretching, gives the mind space to breathe and create. Sleeping on a draft rather than a relentless pursuit to its end means, tomorrow with fresh eyes I complete it.

On writing days, I need chivying. So days are timetabled, accompanied with comfy colourful clothes and a happy sock uniform. The alarm is labelled ‘Nicky: Go Write!’. With charged up PC, notifications off, cuppa in hand, I venture towards a different portal. Today words are my outing. 

So, go now and write all this down. Put it in a book So that the record will be there to instruct the coming generations Isaiah 30:8, The Message).


1. PR:  STRAVA ™ term-for Personal Record (not uniquely). 


Caption



 Nicky Wilkinson lives in Sheffield. She has recently become a writer and is part of the ACW Sheffield Scribblers Group. She lived abroad in the Czech Republic and Zimbabwe for 26 years. She worked for FEBA Radio in Zimbabwe, and taught History, RE, Global Perspectives and Thinking Skills at Chisipite Senior School in Harare. She has been the Administrator for ACW for the past 3 years. Lately she has become an adoring granny to four grandkids.  

Comments

  1. Great post & it made me smile as I could have written it myself almost word for word…apart from the Lycra! Fitbit, Strava, shoulder injury, and recovery breaks are all familiar territory. In fact as I write this I’m in a trilemma: run, write, or remove weeds? All require a change of socks, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola Wilkinson13 April 2024 at 08:28

      Hey John thank you! Spring is a really beautiful time to have trillemas. Glad you could track with it all! Blessings Nicky.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Nicky, thanks. Isaiah 30:8 is so apt at what you portray for writers: -be kind to yourself; you are not racing with anyone; enjoying mental breaks, sleep, rest, 'running' are not luxuries but a necessity! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicky, I really love this post. Could anyone be more witty – hand-in-hand with instructive? Why do I keep sensing Richard Weir’s eyes eyes twinkling, hear him laughing and feel the pride in his heart. May be accompanying you without drinking your hand. You make complicated tasks seem wonderfully feasible. A clarion call for completing our life‘s work, and following the word of the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. … I pressed publish way too early for above comment!
    Meant to write that Richard would be accompanying you with drink in hand.
    And I feel a whole lot of the pride that Richard feels. Camilla xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicola Wilkinson14 April 2024 at 12:50

    Thank you Camilla bless you. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful encouraging read Nicky, I will go and do……

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insightful and inspiring! Thank you, Nicky! When I grow up I want to be just like you! ☺️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment