Enchantment

 Do you like writing from a prompt? When I had been blogging about a year I began using the daily prompts issued by WordPress. I was blogging as a way of improving my writing. Sometimes I posted every day! One advantage of using an online prompt or a challenge (and linking to it) is that other bloggers using the same prompt may visit your blog to see how you have responded to the challenge. These bloggers may be of any faith or none.

My response to a prompt from the beginning of 2014 seems appropriate for More than Writers. My original post gave the prompt at the end in the hope that the preview of my response might intrigue potential readers.

This time I’ll begin with it.

For the Daily Prompt

You have been transformed into a mystical being who has the ability to do magic. Describe your new abilities in detail. How will you use your new skills?

Photographers, artists, poets: show us ENCHANTMENT.

 I am intrigued by magic.  However, there is only one particular way I’d be prepared to practise it.

There is a sort of completely harmless* magic, which is able to conjure up all sorts of images and experiences.  I’d love to be an expert practitioner of this kind of magic, weaving enchantments over young and old alike.  If you came under my spell the time would pass so quickly, you would not realise that you had spent a day enthralled – it would only seem like a few moments.

I might transport you to a world of giants and fairies, of unicorns and wizards.  Or I might draw you into the world I grew up in with its limited technologies.  Perhaps I could whisk you into a future world or a distant land.  In theory there is no limit to the scope of my magical abilities.

One problem is that I do not have a magic wand or the means to visit Mr Ollivander as Harry Potter did.

What I do have is a shorter stick with a magic of its own.  Of course that is old technology and the magic I seek to perform through the power of the written word comes to you via the keyboard of laptop computer and the technological wizardry of the internet.

A pen on a notebook
It’s all right, this is the end of today’s spell(check)!  You may return from wherever I have taken you!

 

*Revisiting this post for MTW I realised that our words can work for good or harm. That is the theme of James Chapter 3 with respect to speech.

 

Postscript: 


My original post did not include a picture. At that time I hadn't begun to take digital photos. If I needed a photo for my blog I asked hubby to take one for me.


WordPress recently reintroduced their daily prompts after a long break. They may sometimes be found on Twitter and (for WordPress.com bloggers) on the Home page of WordPress.com blogs, where there is a link to all the responses to each prompt. 


Other prompts include #vss365 on Twitter, where a prompt is issued each day by @vss365official and very short stories including the prompt are required. MTW blogger Martin Horton has had some success through using these prompts.


Susan always wanted to be a writer.  In 2012 she revived her interest in writing with a blogging project to collect the kinds of sayings, which were much used in her childhood.

Susan experiments with factual writing, fiction, humour and poetry.  She does not yet have a book to her name. Her interests include words, languages, music, nature study and gardening  She has experience of the world of work, being a stay-at-home mum and an empty-nester.   She is active in her local community and Church. She and her husband live in Cumbria

Follow her on Twitter https://twitter.com/suesconsideredt

Sue's Trifles and Sue's words and pictures

 

Comments

  1. This is such an interesting blog. Of course as Christians we are wary of magic, and yet you have shown us how we writers are using the magic of the imagination all the time. There's a magic in calmness when dealing with other people's anger or hurtful remarks, too. Thanks for giving us a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Veronica. Yes, calmness helps defuse many situations.

      Delete
  2. Great blog Susan. I love the way C S Lewis refers to Aslan's ancient magic which I think is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah. Yes, I'm a fan of the Narnia series too.

      Delete
  3. I love prompts. I can sit for hours trying to think of something myself and then when given a prompt, I'm off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Fran? I haven't the patience to sit trying to think, but I do like prompts - even if I take a sideways look at them.!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the mention, Susan. It's interesting timing, as I've recently not been that active on #vss365. I partly blamed that on the prompt words not being exciting, but good writers can use the most ordinary words and create something magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we need a break from writing, Martin. Rest can have magical effects too!

      Delete
  5. Great post - I loved your take on magic, especially the magic that can be conjured up with a pen. The info on prompts is useful too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment