Off to a book gig

     


        Honestly - packing everything for selling books from one table at a coffee morning is getting ridiculous! I’m exhausted and all I’ve done is prepare for tomorrow, and iron my brand new book-print dress. So far I have packed:

    10 copies of Dangerous Dance 

    5 copies of Trying to Fly

    3 copies each of Out of Silence and Red Cabbage Blue

    2 ribboned sets of Dr Mike Lewis stories

    Posters and labels for all of the above  

    5 Perspex book stands

    1 double layer cake stand (masquerading as a book display stand)

    1 large tablecloth (well, it’s a sheet taking on a new job)

    2 ornamental seabirds and seashells in assorted sizes (Trying to Fly props)

    Pack of fibre tips and drawing pad (Out of Silence props)

    Several random blue items (Red Cabbage Blue props)

    Dancing shoes and dark chocolate (Dangerous Dance props)

    Notebooks and pens (in case anyone wants to do the little writing workshop I’ll offer)

    Stickers for launch copies plus pen for signing

    Sweets and lollipops in a bowl

    SumUp gadget I can never get to work (I’m ever hopeful!)

    Cash float in crossbody bag

    Bluetack, sellotape and scissors (I have only ever needed those when I haven’t taken them).

Have I forgotten anything?

          Ah, yes! The wonderful light box which will sit beside me gently merging from one colour to the next, proclaiming to all those present that I am Annie Try Author. This gadget is vital. It definitely helps an introvert who would rather hide under the table than introduce herself.

          The amount of stuff I take has grown with every new book that has come out, even though I now only take the most recent four books to sell. I lug all my cargo into the venue, carefully arrange it on the table, remembering to leave space for signing, and on a good day people will stop, chat and maybe buy a book. Sometimes they want to buy a prop - I had quite a hard time explaining to one very insistent lady that she couldn’t buy the lipstick I’d brought to help promote an earlier book, even though it was a very lovely colour and would have suited her - it didn’t suit me, I’d tried it! That led to me buying completely new cosmetics and leaving them in the packaging so that if anyone wanted to buy them again, I could agree. No-one ever has, of course.

         I love having a bookstall in our village hall. We live a fair way out of the village, and an opportunity to get to know other local people is a special occasion. The other stallholders from further away are great too, and it’s grand to walk round, chat and buy the odd item when things are quiet. I would recommend it for anyone with books to sell. 

        But for those who already do this, I have some questions. Do you pack three large bags and one suitcase on wheels to go to a two hour fundraising coffee morning in your village hall? Or do I overdo it?  Is it too ambitious to try to do a mini workshop at the same time? Do you think any of my props will help sell my books? They aren’t nearly as exciting as the nooses and axes crime writers display. 

       And did I really need to buy a rather lovely book-print dress?








Annie Try is a retired Clinical Psychologist who used to write therapy books as Angela Hobday. She now writes Christian fiction for adults and young people, her most recent publication being The Dangerous Dance of Emma JJ, which is published by Kevin Mayhew Publishers.

Comments

  1. Lovely dress, and why not if it makes you more confident and gives a talking point. A lady in our writing group had a book-printed mask, when masks were mandatory on trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never seen a book mask. I shall watch out for one - but masks themselves are becoming a rarity.

      Delete
  2. I like the dancing shoes and chocolate! I think props create a sense of fun and, as you've said, help us to interact with readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do - and I managed to return with both dancing shoes and an intact bar of dark cooking chocolate (I even resisted the temptation to have any myself!)

      Delete
  3. I was captivated by the blog's title, so I settled down to read through it. The book titles, Dangerous Dance and Trying to Fly, are appropriate for a book gig. By the way, the lovely book print dress will sit well on you. Success on your book adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peculiar. I like to come up with intriguing titles if I possibly can. The dress felt just right.

      Delete
  4. This is really useful advice Angela, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extra advice: if you are at a Coffee Morning, try not to spend more than you make on sales by buying wonderful gluten-free chocolate cake. Unless it’s for a good cause, of course!

      Delete
  5. Love the props especially the dress. I hope you sold lots of books and enjoyed the whole morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sales were very slow but I met interesting people and enjoyed the morning (see comment above).

      Delete
  6. Really enjoyed reading this, just back from a craft and gift fair with my bookstall. First outing with my SumUp card reader, taken with trepidation. It worked, to my surprise! Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gillian - you are ahead of me with the SumUp card reader. One day I shall be able to say to those with no cash, ‘No problem, pay with your card!’

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, Annie! My, you work so hard. God bless you. I don't think you carried so much as you never know what God may have planned out for the occasion. I love the idea that you are in a village and are able to bring out your stuff on coffee mornings, fundraising, etc. A lot to pick up from here too! Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. I used just about everything except the materials for a mini workshop and the SumUp card reader, which didn’t pick up a signal. I was over-optimistic about book sales though!

      Delete
  8. Thank you all for your brilliant comments - they were great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment