It all began with silence

Photo by Boba Jovanovic on Unsplash

On the 27 May 2019, I wrote and tweeted my first very short story (vss). The prompt word was silence, and inspired by local hedges been torn down during nesting season for a new housing development, this is what I wrote.


No Bumblebee.

No blackbird, swallow, swift or Robin.

No buttercups or poppies swaying in the breeze.

No hedgehog, weasel, stoat or mole

Almost silence.

Just the sound of property developers chewing then choking on money. This past year with #vss365 community (that's the # to use to share your stories) has been quite the experience. I've written 4 ongoing stories, I've learnt endless new words; craven, 
riparian, obfuscate and Orenda to name just a few, I've been published in the first vss anthology. And now, I've got an idea for a book. It all came about as a result of a vss called 'Achoo' about the disastrous impact of a man's sneeze. I began thinking how good that story would look with an illustration alongside it. I shared that idea with the members of an online writers group that I'm part of and one of the responses I received was
Illustrations would be a great bonus for these very short stories. A lively line drawing per story would make this into a popular coffee table book. Find your illustrator and you’ll be on to a good thing is my advice.
I then went on to share this with an illustrator that I know and she feels that it would be 'an amazing idea' and she could illustrate a few as examples that I could then share with publishers, she's not sure when she'd be able to do that though.
Now I have many decisions though. How many stories to include? And then which ones to include and which ones don't make the grade. Do I then need an editor or at least, a proof reader and what's the best way of choosing one of those? Any answers or advice that you, my fellow ACW members, may have, would be gratefully received. Here's two of my favourites that I'd like to include in the book...  My Dad
When I was a kid, my favourite time of day was the gloaming.
It's when I knew my Dad was coming home. The second I heard him whistling, I'd
run as fast as I could to meet him, then he'd pick me up and twirl me around
till I got dizzy. Then race me home. I miss those days.

And Exhale
The CEO was in the lotus position, calm and fully focused on
his breathing. 
His breath leaving his body at precisely the same time that
his head left his shoulders.
Max smiled as he cleaned his blade and wished that all his
assassinations were this easy.
Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on Twitter here. 



Comments

  1. Martin, I've really enjoyed reading your short stories. I've never read stories as short as these before and I think they'd make a fabulous book with illustrations or even amazing photographs. My son especially liked your CEO story - horrible ending! Thank you for sharing and I hope you do get a publisher soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, thank you for your lovely reply, that is very kind of you. I'm amazed how quickly the CEO one came to me. I thought of someone in a lotus position and it went from there, so I'm really glad your son liked it.

      Still a way to go yet. I'm halfway though gathering them all, and then I'll need to sift, see how many are good, and hopefully my illustrator friend will be able to do some samples by then. Thanks again :)

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed a lot of these on Twitter, Martin, especially the series you did of linked stories. Pursue your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, that is very kind. Your support on Twitter has meant a great deal.
      My illustrator friend felt that the First World War one that I did would make a great book, so maybe if this one works out then I'll have confidence to do something with that one too. It is a nice dream to have.

      Delete
  3. I agree. These are great! Your CEO poem made me shiver - so so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that made you shiver, and I'm glad it did, I wonder what this one will do ;)

      The ultimate reality Tv show

      ‘You're got the empathy of a gnat!'
      Gemma smirked as the judge paused, her hand hovered over the buzzer. ‘And I love that about you!'
      The crowd went wild, as Gemma Pain - clearly the nations choice for executioner 2025 - ran to claim her hood and axe and get started.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes. Very good. You've really got that skill, Martin. I am very much looking forward to seeing what you produce next!

      Delete
  4. Yes! The new words we have been leaning! Thank you for your blogpost; and I, too, am looking for an illustrator. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. Are you part of the vss365 community?

      All I can suggest is to try approaching people you know who are fellow writers or asking the advice of any illustrators that you know.

      I did ask one but she's too busy at the moment. I know that publishers like to use their own illustrators, if it would get that far, but it would help to have a sample to show them.

      What are you working on?

      Delete

Post a Comment