The 'lockdown' blog

“Let the name of the Lord be praised
 both now and evermore.  
 From the rising of the sun
 to the place where it sets
the name of the Lord is to be praised.  
The Lord is exalted over all the nations
 his glory about the heavens.” 

 Ps.113:2-4  




This photo was taken at the end of May.  What a glorious time!  I wrote my daily blogs under the gazebo, when hot dipped in the pool, where, with a small float device, I manage six strokes across the circumference!  Casa Johnson on the Bristol del Sol became our holiday destination.  I took two days off and enjoyed reading another author’s writing.  Today, the verse of scripture that comes to mind is “the Lord rains”…oops reigns!

I have read UCB’s Word for Today since its inception.  When Bob Gass. its author died, I remember thinking I’d like to do something like that.  Only a week ago, I realised the Lord had heard that as a desire of my heart, because throughout lockdown that is exactly what I’ve been doing. The ‘Food for Thought’ blog became Series 1: “The Journey” After a seven day Selah (a pause to think of that and a break from the daily pressure of writing only three hundred words a day) the on-going story continued in Series 2.  “The Steps to the Castle” has continued each day for another forty steps and ends with another Selah on Wednesday. 

I, and my friend Lel who lives with us, have enjoyed this interaction with the Lord.  I write and she assists by finding relevant scriptures, comment and/or question.  This second series has been more challenging for us, and the character  ‘you’ the reader having the dream. The Lord gives me the daily manna, but to pray, write, hone, read, discuss and edit, along with the addition of a prayer or Ytube song or film clip this has taken up most of the day.  We rested from it on Sundays, but with the usual chores, preparing, cooking meals, along with emails etc. it has been quite tiring. 

Throughout I have sensed the Lord’s joy and involvement in the storyline.  During one of those ‘summer’ days, a passing character with no name seemed to need one. George came to mind and I wrote he had died aged 56.  The next day, George seemed important, but why?  When the answer came, my eyes widened, I jumped up and rushed inside to consult the internet.  George VI who called the nation to prayer in World War II had died aged 56! 

As Christian writers, we need never be bored, and the Lord I believe is always there and happy to inspire us.  Like most writers I get mind blocks, but found in asking the Lord, and in faith, I type any words that come to mind, and that starts the flow from keyboard to computer screen. My major difficulty is making every word count.  Lord, thank you for computers, but I still spend hours condensing several sentences into one!  That’s a prayer He has not yet answered, along with having the ability to see silly mistakes on the screen.  If practice makes perfect, I’m certainly trying, but with good weather promised, it’s time to take a rest.

FYI: http://emanuel-publishing.com/food-for-thought/


Comments

  1. Totally agree: as Christian writers we “need never be bored!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruth. Having just finished writing up the devotions of an Ethiopian missionary friend, I have been thinking the very same thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment