Virtuous Flaws by Keren Dibbens-Wyatt






During this lockdown I have found myself seeking comfort and peace in very ordinary things, as well as in God. One thing I’m doing regularly is online jigsaw puzzles. I find them quite relaxing and I can shut my eyes when I need to or come back to it later. This isn’t a surprising thing for me to do. What has surprised me is that I usually choose pictures of food. Cake, doughnuts, ice cream and pastries. Yum. With IBS as one of the fun side-issues of my chronic illness, these are things I can’t eat very often. But they are comfort foods. I guess this is calorie and risk free for me, I just didn’t know salivating could be such fun.

It made me wonder about the characters we write and their small defects, idiosyncracies and the things they see as comforts and faults. Like Miss Lane in Larkrise to Candleford, what might they proclaim in a knowing aside as their “one weakness,” (even though the joke of course is that it seems to be a different thing every week)? “Fly tipping, my one weakness!” or “Vodka and lime, my one weakness!” or perhaps even, “Locking my mad first wife in the attic, my one weakness!”

Have other writers been surprised by what brings them comfort under stress, and is this something we can think about when we are fleshing out fictional characters? When things are tough, where do they go for comfort? Music? Food? Books? Romance? Drink? If they are contemporary, do they have online friends and interests that those closest to them know nothing about? Are there sides to them that might show themselves if life got difficult (as, no doubt, it will, if we are writing them into perilous situations, as all the good writing textbooks tell us to)?

In historical fiction, can our creations become more human, more rounded, by showing us the things they view as their own slight flaws? Perhaps a heroine snaps at the servants, or a villain stops to smell roses.

 I’m not sure doing online jigsaws would be particularly interesting, or indeed revealing, unless a rector has a preference for Reubens, but sometimes it is the smallest things that tell us the most about someone.



My painting above of cheesecake. “My one weakness.” *
*overheard at an ACW meeting. The speaker shall remain nameless.

Keren Dibbens-Wyatt is a chronically ill writer and artist with a passion for poetry, mysticism, story and colour. Her writing features regularly on spiritual blogs and in literary journals. Her full-length publications include Garden of God’s Heart and Whale Song: Choosing Life with Jonah. She has a new book, Recital of Love, coming out with Paraclete Press in September 2020. Keren lives in South East England and is mainly housebound by her illness.

Comments

  1. This is fabulous! I have never ever heard of on line jigsaws. I love the challenge to think where our fictional characters might go for comfort. Such a great way to round them out. Thank you Keren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. An intriguing thought. If writing in the first person, it's sometimes good to have a character justify him/herself, inviting the reader to see clearly what the character can't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely a good device, that, Aggie! Great point.

      Delete
  3. Neither had I, but I love the idea! Your examples of "my one weakness" made me laugh out loud!! During lock down, of my many weaknesses, eating and reading have come to the fore. Hence I am now able to quote from a huge canon of literature, but can't get out of the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Ruth said, ha ha! That made me chortle. Really great post, Keren, and the idea of giving characters flaws and idiosyncrasies is so important. It's a good idea to make a list, I think - What's your character most ashamed of? What do they keep in a secret drawer? How would they react if they saw an accident in the street? What is their most extravagant purchase? etc etc. And, perhaps, which habit of theirs gets worse and worse in lock down?.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog is the gift that keeps on giving, Keren. I love Fran's suggestions. I am feeling really bad about hurling two of my minor characters off a mountain road to their deaths at the moment, but they have to die. There really is no other way. I am going to apply Fran's questions to a few of my more tricky characters and see what comes out. Gosh I love this group!

      Delete
    2. Wow Ruth, that's a bit extreme! LOL Remind me not to upset you. Love all those ideas Fran! I'm now having "secret drawer" envy.

      Delete
    3. I know! I found myself having a mid-morning coffee in the garden with the husband today musing over whether I really needed to plunge them into the depths. I found myself saying in a loud, carrying voice, "I do hate to kill them off, but I can't see any other way through!" Just as a cyclist went past. Add this into my suggestions on wood chippers on Wendy's thread the other day and I do come across as somewhat bloodthirsty. I am not, honestly! You'd like me if you met me. I promise never to actually kill anyone in real life.

      Delete
    4. Heh heh! You seem to have a gift for comic timing, Ruth, perhaps you ought to try writing something in the vein of Agatha Raisin?

      Delete
    5. I'm ashamed to say I've never read Agatha Raisin. But I will now! I'm in the middle of a novel which is funny, but also poignant. Even as I type, I'm just starting the next chapter with my heroine being hauled before her son's class teacher. Lots of jokes in there interleaved with sad bits.

      Delete
    6. Ah well, they are not exactly literary masterpieces! Just a bit of fun. I like writing funny/poignant too!

      Delete
  5. Jenn Allong Bratt15 June 2020 at 13:32

    This was an enjoyable blog to read. I was doing an online jigsaw before but deleted it after a while because it took up so much MB space but absolutely love doing them. May think of joint this group. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me gripped with the painting. Oooh, I could eat that right now. Gooey, jammy, yumminess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment