Problems pantsers avoid by Susan Sanderson

 

We often hear about the differences between planners and pantsers. I like to plan things in good time. Reacting to events as they occur can be difficult.

Recently, though, pantsers seem to have had all the advantages.

A case in point was the rearrangement of the ACW AGM and Writers’ Day less than two weeks before the date. The announcement of a train strike on a Saturday perhaps came as a surprise to everyone. I had been planning from almost the moment I received an email advising that the venue was to be in Wigan – a place I have travelled through countless times on intercity trains. The train app on my phone advised that no tickets had been released for that date. Maintenance work might be taking place.

Perhaps that only affected passengers travelling from the North. Anyhow I signed up for email alerts about tickets being released. About two weeks before the event I learned that no tickets would be released for that date. As I don’t drive and didn’t fancy travelling by coach, hubby kindly offered to take me.

A local train I might have travelled on

Many hotels in Wigan were booked up for the Friday night, but I made a booking in a nearby hotel with free cancellation until almost the last minute. Then I visited the ACW website to book my place. Lo and behold, there was an announcement that the event had been moved to Zoom!

I cancelled the hotel booking.

Of course, pantsers would have waited. They probably wouldn’t have taken any action even after receiving the email the following morning advising all the members of the change in plan due to the train strike.

I’m sure my disappointment about not having an in-person meeting and my regret over the effort I had wasted was nothing compared with the feelings of the committee and especially our events manager, who had researched the venue, found speakers and more besides.

Planners are needed. Events cannot happen without them. Pantsers are perhaps able to tolerate more uncertainty and the stress of having to act on a short timescale.

Having the meeting on Zoom had some advantages. There were people from at least three countries outside the UK, who would not have been able to attend a meeting in Wigan. Other people from the South of England were able to attend. Some might have made the journey. Others certainly would not. Andrew Graystone’s talk was very interesting.

I’m not sure what hubby would have done with a free day in Wigan. We hadn’t planned that far ahead.

In person events give opportunities to make and renew friendships in a way that online events do not. The first meeting of the Cumbria Christian Writers after months of meeting on Zoom was very special.

Not travelling reminded me of an earlier online ACW day where we did a writing exercise about an interrupted journey. Travel is certainly a useful topic for writing whether fact or fiction.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

Susan always wanted to be a writer.  In 2012 she revived her interest in writing with a blogging project to collect the kinds of sayings, which were much used in her childhood.

Susan experiments with factual writing, fiction, humour and poetry.  She does not yet have a book to her name. Her interests include words, languages, music, nature study and gardening  She has experience of the world of work, being a stay-at-home mum and an empty-nester.   She is active in her local community and Church. She and her husband live in Cumbria

Follow her on Twitter https://twitter.com/suesconsideredt

Sue's Trifles and Sue's words and pictures


Comments

  1. Great way of looking at it, Susan. Fabulous blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to be a pantser but mostly, to cope with life, I plan. When it comes to novels however I do like to let the characters dictate what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. When I write I tend to set off and see what happens, but I don't usually write fiction.

      Delete
  3. A confession. I suppose we’re all in the words business but thank you Susan for adding Pantser to my restricted lexicon. I’ve heard of ‘filers and pilers’, I suppose a tad similar. Now pondering over a morning cuppa whether I’m a Pantser…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pantser: flying by the seat of one's pants. I haven't heard of filers and pilers, John. Sounds like tidy and untidy people or people who get on with things as opposed to those who procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd not heard of 'filers' and 'pilers' either. Excellent! Over the years, I have become less of a 'filer' and 'planner' and much more of a 'piler' and 'pantser'. I suspect this has to do with some dropped standards or maybe I'm just being kinder to myself these days, not expecting quite so much perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be hard to learn to be kind to ourselves! Thanks, Fran.

      Delete
  6. I always consider myself as a 'Plantster', a bit of both. When it comes to business and organising events, I have to plan well in advance. When I write, especially fiction, I plan a little at a time and then fly by the seat of my pants. I am also a bit of a 'Piler' but nowhere near as bad as I used to be. Another name for 'Piler' is 'Nest Builder'. Those that build nests, often have insecurities, so I am pleased that my nest is now very small. Great thought-provoking blog Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding to the discussion and for your encouragement, Brendan.

      Delete
  7. I think I'm both too. Great analogies here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post! I was so glad for the zoom otherwise I would not have been able to go to Wigan! And answering your question, I am sometimes a pantser and a planner sometimes. Enjoying both of 2 worlds is not a bad idea. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are situations where one or other type of behaviour is more appropriate, Sophia. Thank you for your encouragement. Glad you were able to attend the online meeting.

      Delete
  9. I'm a massive pantser and piler!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my experience, piling is a form of filing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment