Freedom and Captivity in Writing, by Deborah Jenkins

We went to the zoo last week to Meet the Meerkats, my daughter's 25th birthday present. She's adored meerkats since she was twelve, which is for over half her life, so as you can imagine, excitement levels were high. Here's the proof: -


After the experience, we were allowed to wander around the zoo which was delightfully quiet on an October Monday so we made the most of it. I noticed something interesting. On every information board there was a plaque telling us about each animal including, on the top right hand corner, how long it would live in the wild compared with how long it lived in captivity. Like the black tailed prairie dog which can, incredibly, live twice as long in captivity: -


They probably do this in all zoos but I'd never noticed before. It made me think about the whole idea of freedom and captivity: safety as opposed to risk, boredom instead of variety, protection versus adventure. Of course it's not straightforward. There are lots of reasons why some animals are better off in zoos - reasons of conservation, for example, but it fascinates me how big the difference in lifespan can be.

As published writers, we lead risky, adventurous lives. As Nikki Salt pointed out in her wonderful post about rejection, we do crazy things like put ourselves out there to be knocked back. We weave stories with broken pieces, including some of our own, sometimes to see them criticised. We try to interest people in our books with differing results. When we are successful in doing so, if we're not careful the angst just changes. What if this is a one off? What if I'm a fraud? What if my writing isn't actually any good?

The truth is, success doesn't guarantee peace as the life stories of many authors demonstrate: Mark Twain, Stephen King, Sylvia Plath and many more. Most of us won't experience that level of success in our writing but that doesn't preclude us from reacting with anxiety and fear instead of confidence and hope. We all need to crawl into our safe places from time to time, when we've had a rejection perhaps, or a jarring review. Taking time out is important, conserving energy and helping us stay the course in the long term. 

I'm writing this post on World Mental Health Day and it strikes me that the freedom to write can itself become a prison if we don't put the right checks and balances in place - rest, a good diet, time with family and friends, the things that promote positive mental health whatever we do. 

Could you live without your writing dreams? I'm sure many of us have tried. I found not-writing made me unhappy so it wasn't an option, though that might change one day. Do you think there'll be a point where you'll want to give up the adventure for the sake of an easier, more peaceful, perhaps even longer, life? I can imagine a day when I might want to write just for myself or my family. Research a family tree for example or write stories from my life for my children and grandchildren. Not yet though.

For now at least, I think I'll stay in the wild.

Where are you at the moment in your writing journey? Do you feel a sense of freedom or captivity? 


Deborah Jenkins in the author of Braver, published by  Fairlight Books.

It's available from bookshops, such as Waterstones , Blackwell's and Amazon worldwide.

Deborah has also written textbooks, educational articles and a novella, The Evenness of Thingsavailable in both paperback and e-book.

 
She likes to wander aloud about the crazy, inspiring and inappropriate, on her blog at stillwonderinghere.net 










Comments

  1. What a great way to start the day, Deborah! I couldn't not write. I don't know how long that will last, but having started late in life, I suspect they'll have to wrest the laptop from me in the residents' lounge and encourage me to start line dancing or something. I feel freedom and fear, sometimes in equal measure. I used to be trapped doing things I didn't really want to, but now I've cast off the shackles of a regular income, this is no longer the case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that, especially the part about starting later in life, which I have really too. You feel you need to make the most of the time you've got left, and hope it's longer than you think!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous perspective. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post Deborah! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right in what you say. For me, I sometimes find myself in that trap called 'You said you were a writer. Why aren't you busy writing?' and feel I have to justify my existence by being stuck to the laptop and at least LOOKING busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That reminds me of OFSTED walking across the playground and the scramble to suddenly look incredibly productive. Whereas the writing (and teaching) life is so much more than that

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post that captures all our writing emotions! I feel trapped when I have writings to produce but have not gotten myself yet to do. I feel the freedom when I release my books. As for my writing dreams, they spur me on and nothing will ever make me abort my writer's life. It is not an easy life but with God, all things are possible even in captivity. Thanks for the post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to hear about how you experience freedom and captivity in your writing, Sophia :) I guess it depends what we are doing and how tight the deadlines are at times too. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is so interesting, Deborah! As humans, I think we vastly underestimate freedom (especially those of us lucky enough to live in a free country). I wonder what kinds of freedom do or don't extend the life of a human being... and at what point is it more important to have a joyful life than a long one? I don't know about freedom as a writer - I definitely mis-use mine some of the time, and often I'd love to have someone else tell me what to do and which things to focus on. But as a writer, what a privilege it is really, to be master of my own time and energy - even if I'm never quite master of my destiny... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Jude Simpson, by the way, but I don't know how to log in to this site!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks Jude! Yes, I agree that the writer's life is a privilege from that point of view. The whole issue of length of life versus quality is another really interesting one. Writing success is hard to define too isn't it? And means different things to different people. I think being master of our own time and energy can be a two-edged sword though. I can become a bit obsessive about writing-related stuff and then suffer afterwards, because I should have stopped earlier. But you are probably more disciplined than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliantly done, Deborah. Thank you. I cannot imagine not writing and I would agree it is good for our mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, this was Wendy. Blogger is anonymising me again.

      Delete

Post a Comment