Treasure in Dark Places


Liz Carter’s new book, Treasure in Dark Places, was written out of a place of pain and isolation. Due to a chronic degenerative lung disease, Liz was forced to shield for three months, unable to see her family and friends. This beautiful collection of stories and poems is coming out on 17th October and is already garnering rave reviews. I wanted to find out more about why and how Liz wrote it, so we caught up via email and I asked her a few questions.
When did the idea for this book first come to you?

A few people suggested to me that I should collect together the stories and poetry I’d shared online into a book. It then somehow turned into a much larger project with most of the material written new this year.

Would you have written it if it hadn’t been for the pandemic?

Probably not! When I received the shielding letter and realised I’d be alone for at least twelve weeks, I planned to finish writing another book I was working on. But I didn’t account for how shielding would hit me, mentally and spiritually, and it became evident God had other plans. I’d started to write some pieces around the pandemic, and during this difficult Easter, I found myself reflecting the pain of the first Easter, and this project began to take shape in my mind. The other book, it turned out, could wait a while.


Tell me about your writing style. Do you plan it all out or do you open your laptop and see what happens?

I’m a bit of a ‘pantser[1]’ when it comes to writing, so I don’t tend to plan very much. I find that my writing is much more effective when I allow the words to simply pour out of me. I often find that pieces go to deep places I’d not expected - yet it’s those pieces, from pain and sorrow, that seem to resonate most with people.

People often speak of Scripture being God-breathed. It sounds to me as if this book is. Can you tell me more?

My prayer is that my words do reflect something of the love and the glory of God. This book has been an exciting project because it was written out of some desperate days, not only with physical pain but with mental anguish about a number of things, and there was definitely a sense as I crafted some of the pieces that God was breathing into my mind and spirit, inspiring words that plunge depths and yet - hopefully - draw to heights, as well. Sometimes I find that it is when we are in the most difficult places that we can access the riches of God.

What three physical things do you need to write a book?

1. Warmth! I often write huddled up in a blanket with a hot water bottle and the comfort of it helps to ease pain and bring more clarity of thought.
2. My bluetooth Soundcore speaker with some gorgeous worship music.
3. Chocolate definitely helps, but it has to be Cadbury’s.

What’s your advice for other writers in dark places?

One of the things I’ve learned this year is that it’s okay to lay aside plans and take time to be, or to pursue new inspiration when times are tough. I think that being kind to ourselves is something many of us need to do a little more of, and especially when we are in pain. My advice to those struggling is always to choose, like the Psalmists so often do, to look towards God, to remember God’s goodness, and to praise within the storm, not only when the storm is over with. It’s in these times I have so often most powerfully encountered God and the great love God longs to shower upon us all, and it’s this out of the depth of this love I have created these words in an attempt to comfort - and fill with hope.
Liz is having an online book launch at 4pm on Saturday 17th October. You can find out more by visiting:

You can watch the trailer video by clicking on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUJoj9AI00s&t=11s and see the opening poem by clicking on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVFG9xAbkPw. You can find out more about Liz and her work at http://www.greatadventure.carterclan.me.uk/. She's on Twitter as @LizCarterWriter and  on Facebook and Instagram as @GreatAdventureLiz. 

I’ll see you at the launch! God speed, Liz.

Images courtesy of Liz Carter.

Ruth is a freelance writer and novelist. She is married with three children, one husband, four budgies, six quail, eight chickens and a kitten. Her first novel, “The Diary of Isabella M Smugge”, published by Instant Apostle, comes out in March 2021. She writes for a number of small businesses and charities and blogs at Big Words and Made Up Stories. Ruth is a recovering over-achiever who is now able to do the school run in her onesie most days. She has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this get in the way of a meaningful life. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at ruththewriter1.



[1] Technical term. One who flies by the seat of their underwear. Diametrically opposed to a plotter, who plans everything out.

Comments

  1. I love this blog, Ruth and I love Liz's book. So glad Liz calls herself a panster. I think I am too but in this Creative Writing course I'm doing, we're all encouraged to plan carefully which seems to go against my nature. Still, if you can create works a beautiful as Liz's, why plan anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the word. Suits me down to the ground. Everyone says plan, but heck, as you say, if your writing from the heart and a dark place, why would you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment