Salve for the Soul by Nikki E Salt

 




I'm sat in a garden chair, wrapped up in my enormous, snug ski jacket, laptop on lap (the clue is in the name!) and a mug of tea on the table beside me, cooling by the second. A moody cloud is threatening a deluge but is currently content with casual spitting. 


My garden is more of a field. A blank canvas for my soul, a tonic to soothe the cyclonic storms that erupt from time to time.

It's been one of those stormy weeks. A mishmash of medics, sickness, panic, fear, uncertainty. 

But now, all is still. 

I sit and listen to the birds, the wind rushing through the dry, cracked leaves of autumn. I watch a hawk soar, swoop, and drop behind the trees; the clouds sweep across the sky; a sparrow search among the grass and weeds. 

All is well.

My mind wanders and I recall the story of Jesus out on the lake with his disciples, their fishing boat lurching dangerously in the ferocious waves. Jesus calms the storm with a few words. How apt that today He continues to calm our storms with his words. If only, I could hear them when the waves are crashing and the eye of the storm is above me. It's too loud, too scary, and I'm too busy with my head down hearing the chaos to listen to His voice. I knew he was near. He was there all the time.

But now, I listen.

I look up to the mountains;
does my strength come from mountains?
No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains
(Psalm 121 vs 1-2, the Message)




Comments

  1. Love this Nikki! Thank you! Hope you’re doing ok x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good, thanks Georgie. Tough week but I know I'm not alone! Xx

      Delete
  2. I love this Nikki. You might enjoy this song from For King and Country which starts with those words: https://youtu.be/vJ0W94KdXMQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love it. Love that band too! Thank you. X

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Nikki. A word in season for sure,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Nikki. I like the idea of your garden being a canvas for your soul. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbie. So much poetry in gardens, don't you think?! X

      Delete
  5. Your phrase 'too busy with my head down' caught my attention. That's exactly how it can get. No wonder we lose perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Fran. That's why I love Psalm 121 it reminds me to look up. It's funny how when things are tough our whole body language is all about looking down; shoulders hunched, folded posture, drag feet etc. It's like gravity is pushing

      Delete
  6. Excellent post- and I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen. The top one is taken from my garden! X

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I hope all is well with you. Xx

      Delete
  8. Thank you for a moment of calm at the beginning of a very busy day. Love this passage where Jesus calms the storm. It’s been such a helpful one navigating the storms of life..

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are very welcome, Anita. I'm glad it helped. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. When we can't hear His words, we can look into His face...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment