First Chapter by Kathleen McAnear Smith



Psalm 25: 4 Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me Your paths;

Having graduated from the Procrastination Stage of Writing to the Planning Stage, I am now with not a little fear and trepidation stepping/diving/jumping into the actual writing of my first chapter in my first ever novel. Scary. 

What has helped me kick my sweet by-in-by into actual work mode is the contest set up by our Association of Christian Writers. Yep, there’s a £100 carrot. 

I’ve never entered a writing contest, but I like the British saying of “ in for a penny, in for a pound.” Please do send your linguistic corrections to your colonial cousin whenever you like, but as I’m the one writing this blogpost at the moment, I’m defining this saying as “ if you’re already doing something a little crazy ( such as thinking you could switch from factual to fiction writing), then you might as well do something else you’ve never done: Enter a Writing Contest!”

I’ve included the rules below. Rules like these terrify me, as I’m concerned I’ll miss something or mess it up. So, if I write them  out in long-hand I’ll stand a better chance of  “doing it properly." Then again, for the sake of accuracy in this blogpost I've copied it word for word as I would not wish to lead anyone astray.


Let’s pray: Dear God, only you can help us know how and what to write so that we are being of service to You. Help us to remember it’s You who called us to write and that if we’re ever to stop dragging our feet in fear that we’ll mess up or miss the story You want us to write, you’ll guide us and help us and remind us that Your reward for obedience in writing is forever. Through our writing may others hear about Jesus and come to faith. May we above all honour You, in Jesus’ Name. Amen

So, if like me you are thinking of entering your novel:

Your entry must be:

  • Sent by email to the Competitions Manager at competitions@christianwriters.org.uk before midnight on Sunday, 1 November 2020.
  • The first chapter of your novel, no longer than 2000 words (excluding the title). If your first chapter is much shorter, please send just that.
  • Unpublished, either in print or online.
  • The entrant’s own work.
  • Written in English.
  • Typed, in a plain font (such as Arial or Times New Roman) and double-spaced, with wide margins.
  • Saved in Word format (.doc or .docx). (If you don’t have access to Word, contact the ACW Competitions Manager before submitting.)
  • Contain no identifying marks (such as your name). Double-check!  This is very important.  If you do accidently include your name on your story, your entry will be disqualified and your entry fee will not be reimbursed.

Please also send, with your first chapter, a COVER SHEET – a separate document – displaying your name, postal address, email address, telephone number and PayPal receipt number.  On the cover sheet, please also type the following:

My entry to the ACW Novel Competition is unpublished, my own work and I hold the copyright. 


Please do check the ACS website for accurate contest information.


My disclaimer: this blogpost is simply to encourage ACW members in their writing. Please note that this blogpost is no substitute for accurate representation of the writing contest and is only a part of this post to encourage you in your writing as a follower and disciple of Jesus.


Comments

  1. Dear Colonial Cousin, this is MARVELLOUS!!!! Your first chapter ever. I am so excited for you. I love the juxtaposition of 'merican speak (sweet bye 'n' bye) and Ingerlish sayings (in for a penny, in for a pound). Let me share a few of my favourites to see if these spark anything. You'd think reading this comment would be procrastination, but now you've started writing the novel, it counts as research. 1. Fine words butter no parsnips. 2. You can't change horses in mid-stream. 3. A nod’s as guid as a wink tae a blind horse (courtesy of my Scottish grandma). Cheering you on!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ruth of the Writing Sisterhood. I’m not sure I could do/would want to do this writing tribe without you!

      Delete
  2. To take up the gauntlet and enter a competition is the first achievement of many. Well done, and keep going.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment