Times and Seasons by Rebecca Seaton


Times and Seasons by Rebecca Seaton

Growing potatoes: first earlies, second earlies...one for every season




    ‘For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. A time to be born and a time to die.’ (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

    We are in a strange season now. Even though we all know it, it’s hard to have a conversation with someone without saying ‘strange times’, as if we need to be sure that someone else sees what we see.

    Often, we don’t realise the uniqueness of seasons until they pass. It’s only when the weather gets warmer that we realise we’ve been cold for quite a while. Or in a lockdown, when you can’t do something you miss it even though it didn’t feel that special before.

                                       
         ACW Writers' Days: from 'turning up' to having my work on the table: a season I couldn't have predicted!


    Time gives us perspective. A month ago, if you’d asked how much time I was getting off for Easter, I would have said ‘two weeks’, with a  barely supressed ‘obviously’ – I’m a teacher and have had a fortnight off for Easter for over twenty years now. However, when the schools partially closed, the behaviour provision and the school we’re attached to stayed open for vulnerable pupils and children of keyworkers. It looked like we may work through the Easter holidays as there could be a need. I had time to get used to the idea and drew up a rota so I knew who was coming into work with me and had adjusted to this. Then it became apparent there wouldn’t be any children requiring a place at Easter after all. Hallelujah! A whole two weeks! I dashed home to tell my housemate. I was probably the only person excited to be home for two weeks - because it was such a surprise.

                                   
                                                             Christmas: was it really a whole term ago?

    Ultimately, I realise I need seasons. I like the contrast with term time and holiday time, just as I like living in a country with different seasons. There’s a joy to some things ending and some things starting, whether it’s the start of the school term or the start of spring. I like that sometimes I’m weeding and tidying in the garden but other times it’s mainly watering and harvesting. I only appreciate the holiday lie-ins because my alarm goes off early in term time. Similarly, I enjoy the routine of school and work, which might be keeping me sane during the lockdown.

    The bible says, ‘rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep.’ (Romans 12:15). We don’t know what will happen next. But God does. He has the perspective of eternity and in this we can trust.


Rebecca Seaton came second place in the 2017-18 Pen to Print Book Challenge with her first novel, A Silent Song. She regularly contributes to Write On! Magazine which can currently be found online at https://pentoprint.org/product-category/magazine/

                    #amwriting #amwritingfantasy #ACW


                                                                                                
     

Comments

  1. I am going to have to stop saying 'Strange times' to everyone I meet (and write to)! I've made it such a habit and people probably think, 'Well, er, yes, thanks for pointing that out.' I really enjoyed your post today, Rebecca. I always relate to what you say about being a teacher and that means I click on your posts with some anticipation ... I can totally understand your rollercoaster emotions about what happened/could have happened to your Easter holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Strange times"is right up there with "unprecedented." I must stop saying it. I love your points about seasonality, Rebecca, and you're right, lie-ins are only fun when you have had a term of early alarm calls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughtful and appropriate post. I think it is our comeuppance on how we have treated our Earth and all the creatures who are with us on Earth. We are the ones who have unbalanced nature and
    caused some animals to become extinct. We are the ones who have pillaged natural resources with out thinking about the consequences. This lock down is teaching us to respect not only each other, but also all of nature around us. The animals, plants, trees etc ....in other words our environment.
    We need to leave no trace but our footprints.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment