Reflections on an online launch party by Annmarie Miles

Back in December 2019, I self published my first novel, Gorse Lodge. It had been a NaNoWriMo project. Zero words in December 2018, completed and ready for the world 12 months later. I have a small writing network but didn't feel confident enough to launch the book formally here in Wales. I was also conscious that I wanted to bring my Irish writing and reading contacts into the mix and so opted for a virtual Facebook launch party. I had seen other writers do it in addition to their public launch, but this was going to be my only shot at it. I thought I'd share with you how I arranged it and what I learned.

How did I do it?
I thought about it well in advance and looked at what and how others had done. I am not a confident marketeer and don't like constantly bombarding people with stuff about my books. This probably flies in the face of good publicity practise, but I can't do it, and I'm annoyed when others do it to me. But I decided that for this event, I would be brave and give regular shout outs in advance.

I set it up as an event in Facebook and invited almost all my FB contacts. Reminding them about it as the date came up. I private messaged a few close friends asking them to give it a plug. I have had messages from people I haven't spoken to in years, asking me to plug their books. I don't like when that happens to me, so I kept that list short.

I planned out the two hour slot. A live post, with a challenge or an ask, and a prize to go with each. The prizes, I had bought in advance, so I could show them on the night. There was only one paperback included in the prizes, as I was hoping for some sales.

As it was coming up to Christmas, I was able to be seasonally silly, and took inspiration from a Miranda episode, changing Christmas hats for each live post. I sang my ode to Jane Austen and gave a shout out to some people who had helped me out along the way.

What did I learn? 
Two hours is a very long time! I was exhausted by the end of it. I felt like I had done a day's work by then time it was over.

Two hours is not a very long time! Between each segment I was checking responses. putting names in the hat, posting pics, responding to messages and changing hats. It was fast paced.

It probably cost as much as I made. But hey, not many of us are in it for the money. I wanted to be generous and seasonal with the prizes, but as I mentioned, only one book up for grabs.

Facebook is a quick and relatively easy way to spread the word about a new book. I was able to raise the profile of the book to a good number, but didn't feel I was badgering anyone to be involved. The people who attended the event chose to be there, so I felt comfortable in pushing the book to that group.

I also learned I have a lot more to learn about marketing. I'm sure I need to toughen up and be braver. I have read lots of marketing advice from folk in this group, and I need the gumption to put more of it into practise. But I feel like I've made a start...




Annmarie Miles is from Dublin, Ireland.
She lives with her husband Richard who is a pastor in the Eastern Valley of Gwent, in South Wales. She writes short stories, magazine articles, devotional pieces for Christian radio, and blogs about her faith at www.auntyamo.com Her first collection of short stories published in 2013, is called 'The Long & The Short of it'. Her second collection, 'A Sense of the Sea and other stories,' was published in 2018 and in December 2019 she published her first novel, Gorse Lodge. She is currently editing a non-fiction book about being an overweight Christian called, 'Have mercy on me O Lord, a slimmer.'

Comments

  1. That is SO helpful! I wouldn't know where to begin, to be honest, so that is a great thing to have in print. I love the Miranda style hats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. Give me a shout if you decide to go for it.

      Delete
  2. That's really helpful, Annmarie. I will be using your tips very shortly! BTW, I've just posted my review of 'Gorse Lodge' on Amazon. And I'm looking forward to your next book, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a mil Fran. Let me know when you’re having yours x

      Delete
  3. I think you did an outstanding job! Take care and keep on writing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Kathe :) x

      Delete

Post a Comment