Writing in the Dark


Writing In The Dark by Rebecca Seaton





Nearly done?



January can be a grey month, literally and figuratively. After the indulgences of Christmas, we often promise ourselves a new start in January. We’ll be fitter, thinner, more creative. I’ll definitely go to bed and get up earlier. Not to mention writing more.

Somehow, that isn’t quite what’s happened…


Working in a behaviour recovery provision, transitions aren’t a good time. The children find it difficult to return after a break and so do we. And this week it was Blue Monday – we’re told we should feel depressed! Not to mention that fact that it’s cold and dark.


But God came as light in the darkness. One of the local schools I work with has ‘Lux ex tenebris’ as its motto, a daily reminder that in our darkest times, light can still conquer all. Ultimately, I am reminded that Christianity is not dualistic. There are opposing forces, but the devil is not God’s equal.

But what can we do if we feel we’re in the dark, either with life in general or when the writing has lost its way? Sometimes, the best thing we can do is go back to basics. Going back to the Bible reminds us that God loves us, values us and has a plan for us. If we know these things are true, we can trust Him. He is the lighthouse we run to, the solid ground we can trust to hold our weight. It might not feel like it. As I write, two people I care about are fighting circumstances beyond their control. What do I say to them? The dark is real, their situations are painful and unfair.

But I believe His word:


He made us: ‘…He Himself gives everyone life and breath.’ Acts 17:25

He loves us: ‘…as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved…’ Col.3:12

He has a plan for us: ‘For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’ Jer.29:11


Only He can change the situations we’re in. But we can trust the power of His light to do so. And I can pick up my pen and write. Even if Chapter 12 is proving my slowest yet!




Rebecca Seaton came second place in the 2017-18 Pen to Print Book Challenge with her first novel, A Silent Song. She is currently working on her second novel, The Prophet’s Grace. She has contributed to Write On! magazine as a page editor, agony aunt and interviewer.



 #amwriting #amwritingfantasy #ACW     

                                                                                                      




Comments

  1. I do like your posts, Rebecca. There's always a wisdom about them. And I admire you for the work you do. For the last 2 years I taught English for an alternative provider to (mainly) boys excluded from school and it was hard but joyful all at once. I'm working at home this year, but I miss them, the rascals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hard but joyful is exactly it! I couldn't do it without believing in the light. I can see the local church through the window of our nurture room and it reminds me that God made the children and loves them.

      Delete
  2. Yes, many children are excluded - our daughter works with them too. As one of the mental health nurse/mentors at a place where they teach crafts, drama and art stuff to these kids, and help them express 'themselves' better. So thankful the light is coming back to nature, we all need the brightness of the sun! (Son...) Christmas is of course all about Light from darkness... 'as writers' what I especially hope for us is that we are providing some alternatives to the 'noir' which is onTV and in books... what a great thing it would be to see more 'light' on TV - 'Call the Midwife' is the only fictional show I watch right now, personally, as there is enough real noir in the world already... I love the way that CTM brings joy out of sorrow in so many ways, but more than that, the way people treat each other with acceptance, generosity, and kindness. (Even if, as we know, there was also lot of noir going on back in the 1950s and 1960s). Thanks for your thoughts, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think there's light and dark in my own writing. I want the reader to see the characters come through the dark.

      Children being able to identify and manage their feelings is so important, your daughters work sounds interesting.

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  3. I really like that you said 'The dark is real' - yes, sometimes it is, and we can't pretend otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! I think we can do a lot of damage glossing over it. It's okay to identify things that are wrong, then we can ask God to help us with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved this, Rebecca. I think we can all identify with those ideas of being fitter, thinner, more disciplined and making new starts just because it's January. Good to share that it's not just me falling behind on that one! And I am sure I know you from somewhere. I come from Essex originally, Epping Forest to be precise - I wonder if we have met. Every time you post, I think "where do I know her from?"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment