Feeling like a fraud by Annie Try






OK – so I am confessing here – I feel like an interloper, a cheat, a fraud. You may query why, when I am the ACW Chair.  But the sad truth is that I haven’t written anything since the last blog, despite having a crunch date coming up when I talk about my next venture.


It’s not writer’s block, it’s something different. I recognise this old friend which seeps into my soul and grinds me into a halt; it is fatigue. I have been writing my prayer journal, but that is praying really and just noting things down.  I tried to sort myself out by spending Christmas money on a rather splendid planner/journal.  Unfortunately, it’s not dated, so although I filled in a few categories at the start, I haven’t actually put any deadlines for plans, so none have translated into action.  I wanted a planner particularly for writers, but couldn’t find one, so this one is a compromise and includes curious headings like ‘My Affirmations’ and ‘My Vision Board’ so I am pleased I used pencil to have a second go at the latter, when I’d used it in totally the wrong way to make lists of plans!


But, at the very start of the secular planner is the heading, ‘My Gratitude’ so amongst all the difficulties that are making life very challenging and tiring at present, I was able to write ‘Christ, Family, Friends, Home, Security …’ What a way to start! Then writing my passions down was another positive and when it came to ‘Skills to learn’ down went ‘regular blogging’, ‘plies’ and ‘book marketing’. Plies may look odd in that list, especially because I couldn’t find an acute accent for the e, but as some of you know, I go to dance classes for the over 55’s and my creaky knees need much persuading to do anything like the requisite balletic bends.


So, what has helped to lift my spirits even though I have achieved little by way of writing?  I am looking at my gratitude list and praising God.  My absolute muddle over how to sell my books has disappeared under the blanket term ‘book marketing’ and feels like it can cosy up there for a while without me feeling guilty.  


And I have a deadline, it’s the crunch date mentioned above.  Whether or not I write more of the non-fiction WiP is not important – I can prepare for the meeting anyway. 


And as for my fiction WiP – I need to find where I’ve stored it first and decide whether it is something worth finishing. It is a dystopian novel for young adults but I have been writing it for so long that Greta Thunberg’s message has over-ridden it!  But now I am thinking about it, there may be a way to place today’s warnings into the future’s past. Where’s my pen? I must scribble down these ideas in my new journal.


Annie Try (Angela Hobday) is a trained Clinical Psychologist and the author of four novels.  Her latest novel, Red Cabbage Blue, was published in September 2019 and is the third Dr Mike Lewis story.  Her present WiP is a non-fiction book to encourage Christians in prayer.

Comments

  1. So encouraging, I must admit! After NaNoWriMo I always crash for a while... That journal sounds like a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did chuckle at those headings. My Affirmations. My Vision Board. Love it. Thank you for this honest admission of a place we all spend time in. I'd say look back at what you have published, think of all the people who have made a place in their homes for your books and be assured that, like your knees, your writer's mind will bend into a place of furious scribbling before too long. My novel was drafted 2 years ago and I still haven't done the final edits. One day ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating to hear about your dystopian novel being overtaken by Greta's message. It makes me realise how dystopian fiction writers need to think a couple of hundred years ahead at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help with your imposter syndrome, mainly because I suffer from it myself about 70 times a day, but I can help with putting in accents over letters! The Alt Gr key is your new friend. https://fuentelanguages.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/typing-accents-over-letters/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this! Only yesterday I was reading (in Together magazine!) an article, and then more than one more, the words 'equip... inspire...encourage...' and it brought to mind the thought that, in doing these things it is important also to encourage taking time to restore, to relax (properly and taking time) and to learn that we don't have to keep up, keep up, keep up 'write every day' and generally categorise taking time off as 'procrastination'. We all need to face up to fatigue and to encourage others writers to do the same. In the end, itis productive. Creativity and enthusiasm return. As telling us of your own experience you have led the way to encourage us to 'pace ourselves' rather than running ourselves into the ground like overworked machines. God is good to us and in the Gospels he says to us (through Jesus) 'The Sabbath was made for (people) not (people) for the Sabbath.' And of course there are also, in the Old Testament, Jubilee Years when the ground was allowed to rest. Go with it! And, you have already got organised, positively... so you can relax... a good New Year message!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Ok to feel tired. The time of year doesn't help. Life can be tiring.
    All this telling ourselves what we should be doing, where we are going, what we will achieve, I'm not convinced its Biblical. It is God who has plans for us, plans that will prosper us, plans that will give us hope and a future. Jer29:11. We can plan all we like, tell ourselves what is going to happen, but God is in charge. 'The Lord knows all human plans; he knows that they are futile. Ps94: 11.
    I am sure God does not want us to be beating ourselves up about all this or anything. There are times to rest, return to our Father God to be still and listen, knowing that God is taking care of everything. He will restore, make clear all that he wants us to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great honest post. I often suffer with the 'how can I call myself a real writer?' thing. If you do too, Angela, then it must be OK to feel like that 🙂 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful and honest post, Angela, and it really made me smile, as under your list of skills to learn, for a second I thought you'd written 'piles' till thankfully I realised it was an l and not an i. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment