To compromise, or not to compromise...? by Nicki Copeland


Like many, I have recently seen the film adaptation of Little Women. It was a great film. I laughed, I cried, and came away feeling that I had really engaged and invested emotionally in the characters.

I thought it was pretty faithful to the book, unlike so many adaptations these days. But, for me, there was one glaring omission (other than Aunt March’s parrot!), and it made me very sad.

The film writers stripped out virtually all the spiritual content which, in my opinion, was deeply foundational to the book. Where were the Bibles Mrs March gave to the girls on Christmas Day? Where were the mentions of the Friend whom she teaches them to trust and lean on, particularly when times got tough? Where was the quiet space Jo set apart when Beth was ill, to pray and read her Bible?

I get why they did it. Films need to make money, and, sadly, ‘religion’ can be off-putting. But it saddens me tremendously that there’s a growing belief that anything to do with God will be unpopular. So we compromise. We leave God at home, or we put him in a little box and park him on the shelf while we go about our daily lives.

I’m challenged by this. How often do I compromise – in my personal life, in my relationships, in my work – in order not to risk offending someone because of my faith? As a freelance writer and editor, I have been known to turn down projects because they conflict with my beliefs. But I can also remember times when I should have spoken out, but instead I kept quiet.

It can be hard sometimes to know what to do for the best. As an editor, I have to find the balance between imposing my own opinion/interpretation and retaining the voice of the author I’m working with. I have to tread a fine line between being professional – I am, after all, being paid to do a job – and questioning something that disagrees with my own theology. Is it heretical? Or is it just a difference of opinion?

Jesus never said it would be easy. And he made it clear that, for some people, the gospel would be an unwelcome message. But I pray every day for wisdom, guidance and courage to live my life in the way he wants me to. And I pray that my writing, editing, speaking and publishing will bring honour and glory to him – even if there are times when it might make me unpopular with people.




Nicki Copeland is a freelance writer, speaker, copy editor and proofreader – and loves anything to do with words. She is the author of Losing the Fig Leaf and Less than Ordinary? She is also responsible for the day-to-day running of Instant Apostle publishers. When she has the luxury of some free time, she can invariably be found with a book in one hand and some chocolate in the other.

Comments

  1. Nikki, you have highlighted such a delicate and complex issue. There are ways of bringing Christian faith into books and films for a mainstream.audience in a way which increases the emotional charge of the story e.g. Collen McCullough's The Thornbirds and the film Shadowlands come to mind. Graham Greene's The End of the Affair was one I found deeply moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. Yes, indeed, there are ways of walking that fine line, and many do it so well.

      Delete
  2. Such a great post, emphasising the constant need to ask for wisdom. I also agree with you about Little Women. Still loved it though and saw it twice, once with my daughter and again with ladies from church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This question was central to having my first book published. Commissioned by a bank in London, I realised I couldn’t compromise on what Jesus had done for me to look accomplished and it was rejected. Still, living with this question is a powerful motivator. Thank you so much for giving it the focus it deserves. Helpful indeed. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post Nicki and it gives much cause for thought. I haven't seen Little Women yet as I need to wait for the DVD so I can watch it with subtitles but I do remember how when I was a child and read it that I was aware of the spiritual side and it made me think about the reality of God. It certainly didn't put me off. Thank you for raising these issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. Hope you enjoy the film when you come to watch it. It is good!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this, Nicki. I was sorry that they completely removed all spiritual context - a huge missed opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It could have been done very subtly, but would have made a great point :-(

      Delete

Post a Comment