Attenborough at Christmas by Emily Owen


You may think, from the title of this blog, that it’s about the late Richard Attenborough. After all, didn’t he make a Christmas film?



He did indeed, and it’s a film I like watching at Christmas (yes, still!), but this blog was sparked by his brother.


I recently enjoyed watching the David Attenborough series ‘Seven Worlds, One Planet’.

The programme on Australia featured one of the world’s largest birds, the Cassowary. At one point, the adult bird waded across a stream, leaving his little chicks to follow. Scary for the babies! One managed it, but one was too anxious, overwhelmed by the water, and turned back. After wandering around on its own for a while, it returned and plucked up courage to cross the stream to follow its father. As Attenborough’s commentary put it, ‘their bonds are stronger than their fears.’

Bond means join, or link. No matter how scary things got, they were less scary than separation.


No matter how big our fears, our bonds with our Heavenly Father are stronger.

And Christmas reminds us of that.

I imagine most of us have sung Oh Little Town of Bethlehem recently, or will do so soon.

‘The hopes and fears of all the years are met in Thee tonight.’

‘All the years’ includes now. It includes tomorrow, next week, the coming year…

Their bonds are stronger than their fears.


Perhaps, as we look ahead, we do have fears: in our writing or otherwise.

Valid fears.

There’s an echo that speaks into valid fears:

‘Do not be afraid, I bring you good news….’ (Luke 2:10)

The good news was – and is – a baby.

A baby who would grow up and would say, ‘in this world you’ll have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world.’ (John 16:33)


Jesus.

Immanuel.

God with us.

God with you.

God with me.

Their bonds are stronger than their fears.


Perhaps, as we look ahead, we forget just Who we have bonds with.

I have bonds with the Wonderful Counsellor; they’re stronger than any of my fears.

I have bonds with the Mighty God; they’re stronger than any of my fears.

I have bonds with the Everlasting Father; they’re stronger than any of my fears.

I have bonds with the Prince of Peace; they’re stronger than any of my fears.

The greatest miracle of all...



Comments

  1. Emily, this is SO fantastic! I seem fated to tell stories to you about various mishaps. Here's another one. I was doing prayers at church this morning, service begins at 11.00. I always leave them till the morning to write as I find that's a better way for me. I was working last night and came in about 12 very tired. Before falling into bed, I set my alarm not once but twice, to make sure I wouldn't oversleep. This did not work. I awoke with a start at 10.20. Yes. I fell out of bed, got dressed and sat down to write the prayers. I knew immediately that I should open the blog for today, not knowing it was you. I felt God tell me that. As soon as I read "the light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it" I was off. Thank you. It was also testimony Sunday so I admitted to my oversleeping. I got there at 11.10 to the huge relief of the man leading. Thank you again, Emily. A wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth, I'm afraid 'fated to tell you about various mishaps' made me laugh! But, again, in a 'half laughing-half crying way'. I really felt for you about the rush with the prayers, and I'm so glad God enabled you, and I'm thankful He started that by telling you to read the blog. (Believe it or not, He also told me to post the blog: I dithered, thinking it was not 'writery' enough.) I'm glad you made it to church in time, and I suspect you admitting to oversleeping will have been a real blessing to many.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment