Who's Your Adult? By Emily Owen


 

At the beginning of August, I was on holiday in Devon, with some of my family. At the start of one day, visiting a local town, we got out of the car and needed to cross a road. It was as we were waiting to cross that I felt a little hand slip into mine. I looked down and saw my seven year old niece. Her hand securely in mine, she looked up and said, “You’re my adult”.

Those three little words conveyed so much. You’ll look after me, you’ll care for me, you won’t let me get lost, I’m safe with you.
"You're my adult."


Father God.
You’re my Adult.
You’ll look after me, you’ll care for me, you won’t let me get lost, I’m safe with you.
Amen

We crossed the road and checked Abbie’s shopping list. The list she’d written, entitled ‘Memem (me) and I’. Even before she’d slipped her hand into mine, she’d decided that we would be together that day. Holding my hand was confirmation of a decision already made.



‘Bag for scrabble’ was on there because her Junior Scrabble game had no bag for the letter tiles. The day before, when we’d played, I’d suggested we buy a bag (turning every letter face-down on the table before starting the game is rather laborious!).  By ‘we’ I really meant ‘me’. But she insisted on getting out her purse and paying half. I waited while she counted out 25p. It took a while, but she was so pleased to do it. It was such a joy to see her.


Later, I saw some bargain-priced shoes that I knew my sister would really like (and, indeed, was one of those people who could actually walk in them). I gave Abbie the money to pay. Shoes in a bag, she said “these shoes are from you and me”, because she’d used the money I gave her. She'd contributed. The shoes were indeed from us both. 


When we use the gifts and talents God has given us – be it writing, or speaking, or parenting, or….. – He’s happy. Do we share His happiness?

Saying ‘You’re my Adult’ to God is wonderfully freeing.
Saying ‘You and me’ to God is an incredible privilege.
Sharing God’s happiness is the biggest joy there is.
And we can have all three.
As we live and write, may we do so in partnership with God. 
Knowing that He’ll keep us safe.
Sharing His happiness.


Comments

  1. It’s good to be reminded of God as our safe adults, who loves us and delights in us, no matter what we’re going through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm glad; I certainly learned a lot that day!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing such a special time. A great reminder of Gods goodness xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment