The twists and turns of the writing journey by Claire Musters


It is so interesting to see how our writing journeys can so often go in a direction we were not expecting.

For example, I have written quite a few books for publishers that I edit regularly for. They already knew me and I was writing for series that were already established, so I suppose it was a ‘safe bet’ for them.

Getting my own book, Taking Off the Mask, published was another matter. I may have known and worked with the majority of Christian publishers over the years but suddenly I was not such a safe bet. 

Regular feedback consisted of: ‘You are a great writer, we love the idea but it’s not quite right for our list’ and/or ‘You aren’t established enough/you don’t have a big enough following/you don’t speak at big festivals’.

Fast forward four years – my book baby has been in existence for a year and a half, and I’m really enjoying the speaking that I now do regularly.

I have a publisher who is behind me, wants to publish more books with me and go on my writing journey with me, which I know is such a blessing in today’s publishing climate.

But…I have just signed a book contract for a book I wasn’t expecting to write…yet.

I’ve had ideas forming in my brain for a while – things that I know I’m being prompted to write. But when I spoke with my publisher it was the book on marriage, which I felt should be written with my husband rather than just me, that they wanted next.

The timing is slightly odd – he’s almost at the end of a sabbatical, which was already planned out before the book was agreed upon. So, apart from brainstorming the chapter titles and possible contents for each, there has been no writing done yet and he’ll be going back to a lot of work, especially as we are planning a church plant next year (he's the senior pastor of our church).

I was a little hesitant due to this (not wanting to be left holding our book baby as it were). Then I realised the rush of negative thoughts, such as ‘How will we fit this in?’, ‘What do we have to say that hasn’t already been said?’, ‘Do we have enough material for a book?’, ‘Are we strong enough to do this?’ really were just different guises of the usual writerly panic and self-doubt that can cripple before the writing begins.

So, as you can see above, I did sign the contract. And, after the summer holidays with our children, we will be knuckling down to prayer, planning and writing – together. I certainly never thought that would happen! ;)

What about you – how has your writing taken unexpected turns over the years?

Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. Her latest edition to the Insight Guides series, An Insight into Shame, was published in May. She also writes Bible study notes and magazine articles. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. 

Comments

  1. I didn't expect to be writing a memoir. But, hey, whaddya know?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all power to your writing elbow(s) in putting the book together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading it too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment