Ordinarily Spiritual by Annie Try










Why am I finding it difficult to write a blog today?  Blame PD James!

The other day (Saturday to be precise when I was trying to write something to use in church) I came across a quote from The Black Tower where a 10-year old is talking to a priest who has his diary open in front of him.  The boy says,

"It's just an ordinary diary then?  It isn't about your spiritual life?"

"This is the spiritual life," the priest answers gently, "the ordinary things one does from hour to hour."

Wow!  So now everything I am doing - washing up, brushing my hair, feeding the cat, banishing mould from the motorhome with water running up my sleeve and moss falling in my hair etc., it's all spiritual? That can't be right.  I can imagine some things are almost holy - singing songs in a Sunday service, praying, even walking the dog (which probably feels spiritual because I usually leave it to my husband), but all the ordinary things?

PD James is only a writer, not an apostle or anything.  Maybe this time she has it wrong.  On the other hand, she does have some thoughtful treasures hidden away in her novels.

Perhaps I'm the one who has the divide in my mind.  Some things are just duties, some are just for fun, then there are the serious bits.  It's easy to make the serious bits spiritual, just by praying them through.  I am glad to be able to hang on to God when I am talking to someone about their cancer, or praying with a friend.  Writing for Church bubbles along in a mostly spiritual fashion and even my novels for teens and adults have spirituality creeping in or underpinning.

What about the jobs I resent - perhaps because it's not my turn to do them?  Perhaps because I feel overburdened or tired.  Maybe I can leave those out of this spirituality thing.  Just for a while.  I'd find it hard to be spiritual all the time.  Although there is that slightly troubling little verse near the middle of Colossians 3:

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

All right, I give in, this is the spiritual life full of ordinary things. Now I've sorted that out, maybe I can write the blog.

Oh, I think I've done it!


As Angela Hobday, Annie Try has co-written four books designed for professionals working therapeutically with children and teens.  Much of her writing time is now taken up with working on YA and adult novels.  She lives in West Norfolk with her husband and enjoys being with her five children and their families.  She loves dancing, reading and playing the cello.

Angela is ACW Vice-Chair without Portfolio and a local group leader.  She is also on her Church's leadership team. 

www.annie-try.co.uk

Comments

  1. This resonates with me, Annie - especially the part about jobs you resent. It's hard to relate my gritted-teeth muttering to anything spiritual! I can only console myself with the thought that we are all God's WIPs, first drafts in the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way of looking at it Aggie! I'm trying to drop the gritted-teeth muttering and remembering to 'just do it' but in the name of the Lord Jesus.

      Delete
  2. This is so true. Have you read Practising the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence? It's literally all about that. Read it years ago and you've inspired me to reread. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read it years ago - obviously need to read it again. Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  3. A timely post. I caught myself feeling resentful thus morning. It doesn't lead to peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly doesn't - that photo really is me cleaning the motorhome and for once I am grinning as the water runs up my sleeves. A smile is a great prelude to peace!

      Delete
  4. Annie, I can see your dilemma and also appreciate how all of life is potentially sacred. There really is no great divide because God is part of it all. Our task is to see and sense His Presence all around as well as within us. I love the book Deborah mentioned and it's principles are shaping my own leaning into a more contemplative way of life and faith. PS:PD James' books do tend to have spiritual overtones, don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so easy to know it, and even understand it, but living it is rather more difficult! Still, as Aggie C said, we are WIP's!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment