The Shape of Things to Come


 I’m feeling particularly organised at the moment. Not only did I remember to write this post more than twenty-four hours in advance, but I also managed to put up our Christmas tree before the supermarkets start reducing the price of their turkeys.

 

Somehow, the two tasks I had to do connected in my brain, prompting me to write a shape poem about a Christmas tree. Shape poems are often used to great effect in schools to inspire pupils in their writing. However, this form is not limited to schoolchildren – Brian Bilston has a different take on the Christmas tree theme in his poem, Needles.

 

I’d like to recommend this as a helpful writing exercise, even if – or perhaps especially if – you don’t normally write poetry. As in many short forms of writing, each word has to earn its place, and the writer has to be disciplined in determining how each phrase will fit into the final piece.

 

So, when you’re feeling more stuffed than the turkey on Christmas afternoon and Grandad’s snoring is drowning out the King’s speech, why not have a go? Let me know how you get on! 


Happy Christmas! 

A

star

glitters, its

radiance echoed

in dainty lights sprinkled

over

the branches

like kisses of frost

on a cold winter morning.

Baubles nestle like cosy robins

amongst the scented needles, while

garlands

of shimmering

tinsel wrap the tree

in a welcoming embrace.

Excited children prod and squeeze

the neatly wrapped presents piled around

the sturdy

trunk. And

nearby, in

a well-worn nativity scene,  

weary shepherds keep

vigil, waiting in hope

for the greatest

gift of all.


Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and is married with three grown-up children. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. I love this and the use of colour, Fiona. I once made a poem I wrote about our Christmas tree into the shape of one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poetry is in good shape, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - wish I could say the same about myself!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this Fiona, beautiful, resonant words and the shape is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s beautiful, Fiona. Blessings and love on your Christmas preparations and celebrations. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! So beautiful and evocative

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant! I wasn't expecting the different coloured trunk and then the roots. So lovely the way the shape resonates with the meaning. (Sheila aka SC Skillman)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shape poems are great fun and yours is brilliant, especially the use of colour. You could write 3 'Nonets' to for the tree and a reverse 'Nonet' for the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever Fiona. I can't do poetry at all!! Except limericks 😳😳

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, Fiona. I've seen something similar to this done years ago but not in multi-colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! Lovely words and you are so clever to get them into those shapes. Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the coloured poem! I did something similar shaped, using Fibonacci poems for Mom's Favorite Reads magazine, but yours is wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maressa. Fibonacci poems sound interesting!

      Delete
  12. Wow! What a really lovely post, Fiona! I so love your shape poem too. Quite a feat. I remember writing one recently and knew at once that I hadn't go the hang of it. Inspiring words. What a beautiful xmas tree you have .This will compete with the one you have in your home right now! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now if only you had done this as a shape poem 😉

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous, Fiona,especially the kisses of frost. I believe I could create the words buy I think I'd struggle with the shape 🤔

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment