Waiting

 

Several others have already written enthusiastically about our WOWiG weekend, so I’m not going to rehash the highs and lows not-quite-so-highs yet again except to say that I’ve just about caught up on my sleep.

 

However, when Jonathan Bryan invited us to be silent for a couple of minutes as part of his session, it put me in mind of something I wrote several years ago while at Scargill.

 

Waiting

 

A friend of mine said I should look in the chapel:

“The vicar’ll help you; she knows what to do.”

But the church is quite empty, no sign of the priest,

So I’ll rest in this corner and wait here for you.

 

I ought to be making a list for my shopping.

I need some potatoes, and meat for a stew.

But I’ve not brought a pen and my i-pad’s at home,

So I’ll savour the silence and wait here for you.

 

I wonder how Grandpa has coped with the children –

He promised he’d take them both out to the zoo.

But Georgina gets car-sick and Joseph hates snakes,

So I’m thankful I’m sitting here, waiting for you.

 

I imagine this place takes a fair bit of dusting;

I’ve seen by the door there’s a cobweb or two.

But there’s beauty and grace in those intricate threads,

So I’ll marvel and stare as I wait here for you.

 

You’d think that the countryside might be more peaceful:

Outside there’s a terrible hullabaloo

From the bleating of sheep and the clucking of birds -

Don’t they know that I’m trying to focus on you?

 

So where have you gone Lord? I need you to help me

Untangle my prayers as I sit in this pew.

And the harder I’ve tried the more distant you seem

As I’ve wrestled impatiently, waiting for you.

 

A voice whispers gently: “My child, don’t be anxious.

The things that concern you are in my heart too.

Can’t you hear my creation all shouting my praise

As I sit here enjoying this moment with you?”

 


 

As Christians who write, we recognise that all our words grow out of our faith. So, how do you find space for God – and how does it affect your writing?


Fiona Lloyd is Chair of the Association of Christian Writers and writes regularly for Together magazine. Her novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16


Comments

  1. Wow!!! I'm actually clapping. I'm awed by the powerful impact and deeper meaning of our Lord's words in the poem. We are too busy thinking worldly stuff that we don't realise that God is already there. We are too blind and busy to see!! Waiting on God is crucial as it says here that eventually, we shall get our inspiration or whatever it is we want. It might take a while, but eventually, we will reap the from waiting on the Lord.
    To answer your question, I guess the devil makes me guilty about finding space for God. My morning devotion time, for some time now, is less than ten minutes! I do catch up with God during the day in my heart. I thank God that I have posted family pctures all over my house that remind me of His goodness and makes me praise Him. Then I walk to school each day. Guess who I'm talking with - God!! I'm surrounded by the beauty of God's nature through my window and so I'm constanttly praising Him in my poetry and using characters in my stories to share faith, peace, love, repentance, forgiveness, etc Thank God for our faith - it is such a naturally rich fodder for our writing Christian fiction. Very lovely post.Really engaged with it, Fiona. Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia - I love the image of you chatting to God throughout your day!

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful poem, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem, Fiona, and so true. Also adore that blissed-out cat, I think cats have the spiritual gift of being able to sleep anywhere, lol. I become more convinced that before we do anything we need to quieten our souls before God and also that He can meet us anywhere, anytime, and our distractions are no barrier to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right - but I find it so easy to fall into the trap of thinking I have to remove the distractions before I quieten my soul.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful poem and beautiful post, Fiona. I am terrible about making space. I chat throughout the day but I need to lay time aside. A timely reminder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth - I have lots of good intentions about setting time aside, but putting them into practice is more of a challenge!

      Delete
  5. Loved to find this - all the praise for the speakers, committee, fun and fellowship and worship... something had felt not quite there before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare - hope to catch up with you at another weekend!

      Delete
  6. Loved your poem, Fiona, especially the last verse. A wonderful reminder of Scargill too! I once tried to spend some time in Sheffield Cathedral, but it was far too noisy, so I went to the winter gardens instead and had far better time finding him there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin - I think gardens are a great place to meet God!

      Delete
  7. This is lovely – and so valid. I'm sure our Lord takes up such worries and reflections as unformulated prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure we spend far too much time worrying about the words we use to pray when God already knows what's in our hearts

      Delete
  8. Thank you for that, Fiona! I can so identify. But I have found Him more often that I expected to, in the most unexpected moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those unexpected encounters are so precious!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful cat :) and post too. God is right here with me and a constant presence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment