I'm standing outside The Hayes, live from the WOWiG conference... by Jane Walters

Imagine the scene: I’m in a conference hall, at about half past ten at night. I’m wearing a fabulous jacket, pink shot with gold, and I’m surrounded by elegantly dressed ladies who are encouraging me to write a book about how to sell my kidney, which will be followed by said kidney being auctioned off at an artificially inflated price because of the success of the book.


Imagine another scene: it’s a little after midnight and I’m standing outside in my pyjamas and a rather fine dressing gown (M and S, if you were to press me for details), surrounded by variously dressed personages, one of them a man holding a full mug of tea and being overly cheerful, given the circumstances.

If you’re confused, let me put you out of your misery. I’m writing this from the wonderful Worth our Weight in Gold conference being held in honour of ACW’s golden jubilee. It’s been an extraordinary time so far of celebration and fellowship, peppered with inspirational moments and wisdom handed down by superb speakers. The pyjama scene was not a figment of my novelist imagination but what actually happened when the fire alarms went off on Friday night and we all had to make our groggy way outside. My almost-asleep mind initially struggled to make sense of the alarm – first blaming my mobile phone on the bedside cabinet beside me. However, it was the insistent male voice informing me that it was an alarm and that I was to immediately vacate the building that cleared the matter up somewhat decisively and led to some uninvited but rather special extra fellowship time.

The conference hall scene followed our presentation gala, which saw prizes being awarded for, among many, the longest title on the bookstall and the first person to book their place. Our president and first lady – aka Adrian and Bridget Plass – were adorned in personalised sashes and, for Adrian, a peaked cap bearing the word President, before entertaining us in inimitable style. Afterwards, somewhat jaded from the lack of sleep and an action-packed day, I was caught up in the surreal kidney discussion, during which I suddenly asked, ‘What date is it?’ before remembering that I was due to write this blog and had only hours to go before it went live. Delaying the writing by eating my body weight in guacamole and tortilla chips, I have now retreated to the calm of my room to tell you of those two incidents.

You will have to wait until the summer edition of Christian Writers before reading the full account of our jubilee weekend. For now, all I can say is that it has been the best weekend of my writing life. There will be fruit from it, I’m sure, which will involve growing friendships and putting some of the messages into action. But for now, zzzzzzzzz.

 


Jane Walters is vice-chair of ACW and currently very tired indeed...

www.janewyattwalters.com

Insta: @readywritersretreats

Comments

  1. I'm glad you were in a rather fine dressing gown because I hadn't brought one with me and just snatched a cardigan, shoes, bag and my lanyard before exiting my room and the building with our guest speaker and fellow authors! It was definitely surreal seeing Ruth Leigh in her pyjamas standing next to her agent outside the building late at night alongside several others in our nightwear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I’m sure most agent/author meetings don’t involve pyjamas!!!!

      Delete
  2. Ah! For those of us who missed the fun and excitement you share here, you make us swell with regret! Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you will share some pics and tales to bless us all! Lovely post. Tx and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia. It was a real privilege to be there for sure.

      Delete
  3. It really was rather surreal wasn't it? This is what happens when notices go unread, and showers are taken while leaving bathroom doors open for steam to trigger alarms. I can't pretend to know how that works but I think all the WOWIGers will now agree that it does. Hurrah, that other highlights easily eclipsed that nocturnal shenanigans! What a great weekend; thanks one and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child, I didn’t quite understand the difference between steam and smoke. It seems I wasn’t alone, after all….

      Delete
  4. Never have I been so glad of a pair of M&S pyjamas. Surreal is right! Still snorting with laughter about the kidney pitch. What a weekend! I'm up tomorrow as you know and will also be sharing highlights of the weekend with you, including the Netflix pitch on various organs belonging to Jane (maybe you had to be there), the fire alarm incident and a number of other highlights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to see you and to witness your flourishing 😍

      Delete
  5. I rather foolishly went outside barefoot in a skimpy nightie. Mucho thanks to Faye for lending me a jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hardcore, Veronica! I hadn't brought a coat and had very little footwear. Exciting times

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a night to remember but also a weekend to remember. I have to agree with you, Jane - this was the best writers' weekend/gathering in my life (to date!), thanks to the brilliant ACW team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it had it all! Great speakers, unexpected nightwear fashion parade, amazing fellowship. And your shoes, Nikki! Which get an honourable mention in my blog today

      Delete
    2. So glad you were able to come, and grateful for your role within the band. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. And not to mention the band, Jane! Awash in gold standard as well as the brass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a brilliant time, full of inspiring memories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment