Pure Gold

Photographed by Fiona Lloyd

At the risk of boring you, I too must mention the WOWIG weekend! It had so much of an impact on me, that it would be criminal not to talk about it. It was a pond in the desert (use your imagination!), a nugget of gold to brighten up the simply exhausting challenges of everyday life. And, yes, I know life is littered with tiny flecks of gold but this was a sizable chunk. 

The speakers were great, the food and accommodation, perfect, the music, divine (!!) but the camaraderie, the friendship, and warmth radiating from the people made it for me. Catching up with old friends and making new ones, these relationships are sincere and honest. I love that people feel they can speak to me, share their work with me and make themselves vulnerable, and likewise, I can do the same. 


It has to be said that I don’t always find social situations easy and I know there are others like me. Anxiety is real and many people suffer, especially today.  As I sloped off for a quick, quiet five minutes to walk down the deserted corridors to my room, I opened one door and literally came face to face with a gentleman also enjoying some peace. We both shrieked in shock and surprise and then apologised profusely. A chance meeting in our solitude, a connection of like-mindedness. 


Bridget and Adrian Plass, in one of their presentations, said that what they most love about the ACW events is sharing community. Hearing about people’s families, their triumphs and their struggles, being able to offer a kind word,  a nugget of wisdom, or simply a hug (Adrian’s bear hugs are the best) is what it’s all about. Even better, we all share the same thirst for writing but these meetings go so much deeper than writing. I hope everyone felt like I did. This safe space to be ourselves while talking about our passion for writing. I think even if we had the most eminent, entertaining speaker in the world (and ours were pretty great), if we don’t have integrity, it’s kind of meaningless. This weekend was pure gold.

Photographed by Amy Robinson



Comments

  1. So true, Nikki. It was my first ACW weekend and I had to disappear a few times as it got a bit overwhelming or just plain tiring. Wonderful as the content was, what stood out for me was the friendships made, the automatic connection and honest vulnerability as we told our stories to each other, and that feeling of being myself and on a level with everyone. That's very clumsily put (especially for a writer!) but it was probably the most encouraging event I've ever been to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too, felt the same. Everyone welcomed us/accepted us as we are. It's quite unusual to be able to be fully yourself in a gathering like that. X

      Delete
  2. Well done, Nikki, for finding yet another angle to talk about the WOWIG weekend. I hope to do the same in a few days time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been too difficult, there was so much to say. I look forward to your post soon! X

      Delete
  3. Community was the thing which shone through the entire weekend, Nikki. It was amazing. I love that many of us are writing about it and each time, the piece is quite different, yet has that one golden thread running through it. Looking forward to your take on it, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. I've bored my husband to death. He's so fed up with hearing about it! A week has passed and I'm still reliving moments! X

      Delete
  4. You've captured that sense of community perfectly, Nikki. Spending time with you and fellow writers was the boost I needed. I had no idea you had feelings of anxiety. You've always come across so confident and friendly.
    Like Ruth said earlier, there's so many ways we can describe this event, and I can only hope my post tmw will also will do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, this is a thought which has been occurring to me pretty much non stop since we got home. So many of us were able/are able now to talk about how we really feel and this can only be a good thing. As Martin said, I didn't know this either, Nikki and I thank you for being open. Looking forward to your take on it, Martin! This is a weekend which just keeps on giving!!

      Delete
    2. Home life has been challenging (I know I sound like a stuck record!) And when things get tough, I tend to withdraw. Actually getting to the event took courage. Even though I wanted to go - I'd been looking forward to it for ages - as the day drew closer I started to be afraid and didn't want to go. I literally stopped myself from thinking about it and just went. I am an extrovert but circumstances have created an anxiety in me. However, I'm seeing a wonderful counsellor and if anyone wants to chat about it I'm happy to. Xx

      Delete
    3. I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing had I not seen an equally wonderful counsellor for 5 years. I still would be if he hadn't retired. That acceptance and openness was a remarkable thing

      Delete
  5. Wow! Thanks for bringing the atmosphere of WOWIG right to my living room. I have been blessed by the many write ups of individual experiences shared by members. Lovely post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Sophie. Enjoy. Hopefully we might get another opportunity to attend something like this. X

      Delete
  6. Another lovely post, thank you! You're doing just what you're describing, sharing the sense of community with all of us. I was so sad I couldn't go, but reading these lovely blogs makes me feel part of it in a small sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, Nikki. This sums up exactly how I felt about it too. Thanks also for your honesty. I'm glad there are others who, though they seem confident, also feel anxious in these situations at times. Great post 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. I find the more we share the more we find we're not alone. Xx

      Delete

Post a Comment