I Made It Through by Emily Owen

 


You may be wondering, from the title of this blog, what I am about to announce. 

What great feat have I accomplished? 

Did you blink and miss me winning gold at the Olympics?

Actually, the title comes from a review of one of my books, that I recently spotted on Goodreads.

Someone took the time to review: I think that's incredible.

To me, reviews are presents that come beautifully gift-wrapped. 

Thank you so much to all who review. 

I welcome ‘a weak three stars’ reviews, as well as five-star reviews, whether or not I agree with them (incidentally, I do agree with some of this one, and can see why all the points were made: you can read it here).

The weak-three-stars review finishes: ‘But I made it through and didn’t really think of quitting.’

Perhaps it is the reviewer, not I, who deserves Olympic gold.

Reviews can be like buses, none for a while, and then two at once. So it was that, during my Goodreads excursion, I saw another review (about a different book, you can read it here)):

‘When I first started reading this, I was confused, it was all over the place then I paused, re-read the pages I had already read, and understood…Absolutely loved it, couldn't put it down…’

Both reviewers clearly initially found the books jarring, confusing, not easy to read. 

Both persevered. 

Both reached the end.

I’m reminded of Paul’s words to the church in Philippi:

'I press on toward the goal...'

Both my reviewers pressed on to the end of the book.

One, it seems, with gritted teeth.

One, who paused, began again, and discovered understanding that had been elusive.

Many people have noted the link between reading and writing, and I will join their ranks:

Both writers pressed on to the end of the manuscript.

One [it seems] with gritted teeth.

One, who paused, began again, and discovered understanding that had been elusive.

I can’t speak for others, but I have both these writers in me. During editing, particularly, the gritted teeth come to the fore. During initial writing there is - for me - more pausing, more taking time to reflect, more ‘eureka’ moments as I discover the words I am reaching for.

(Though editing brings joy, and writing brings gritted teeth, too!)

But just thinking about those words: I paused, re-read the pages I had already read, and understood.

As Christian writers, particularly if we are going through a gritted teeth stage, perhaps we’d do well to pause and re-read.

To remember why we write.

To revisit that nudge we felt from God.

You can do this.

To be reminded that the One who calls us is faithful (1 Thessalonians 5:24).

And to know once more, in the gritted teeth and in the pausing, that we go forward in His strength.

‘I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.’

Philippians 3:14

Comments

  1. fabulous analogy and well done for embracing the reviews. Often we do that with gritted teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of the hardest things in the world, to accept criticism gracefully. Catches me out time and again! And once our teeth are ungritted, it's as you pointed out--maybe we do agree with the critic, just a smidgeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'just a smidgeon' made me laugh! Thank you, Veronica.

      Delete
  3. I love the analogy too. I feel that I need to go back, reread, and understand what it is exactly that God has called me to write. And I have had my first 2 star review and am oddly proud of it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my reviews is one star - 'book didn't work on my kindle, so I bought the book' - I rather like that one!

      Delete
  4. Very gracious, Emily! As Wendy says, embracing reviews is hard. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grace is one of the rainbows, Emily. Thanks for your humility in not only seeing the things this (in my view unjustified) review could show you but in sharing it with us. A very inspiring post x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fabulous blog. I have to constantly remind myself, at times with teeth gritted, to press onto the goal. This scripture has helped me to achieve impossible dreams and it is good to be reminded of it now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! I love the grace of humility on your life! Stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Emily, great blog!! I also want to add that I never knew you faced such health challenges and yet you still go out of your way to bless others like me when you reviewed my book!! You are an example of what God said that His joy is our strength! I am motivated to read your books!! I pray that God who made it possible for you 'to go through' will see you to the very end in victory in great health and blessings. I truly appreciate you.

    As for your attitude towards reviews from your critiques, you demonstrate God's grace to accept in good faith that people can differ in their opinion of our writing. True humility! Remain blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment