ACCOUNTABILITY MADE ME WRITE by Bobbie Ann Cole


I have just finished NANOWRIMO Summer Camp which runs every July. 



Mutual accountability has driven us all on


I am delighted to have met my writing target of 20,000 words. 
NANOWRIMO is NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth. Participants undertake to write 50,000 words in the month of November. That word count is a stretch but, in the past, I have found it useful for getting the first draft of a book down. 
Summer Camp is different in that we set our own targets. Every year, for the last five, I have led a Facebook Group of beavering, Christian writers, sharing our wins and woes, as well as a bit of fun around virtual 'cabins' and 'campfires


As leader, I felt I owed it to them to meet my target. 
They felt I expected no less from them. 

This year, we met on Zoom to share our projects at the start of July and again, on August 2, for a post-mortem. My participants this year have been from five countries and four continents—UK, USA, Canada, S. Africa and the Philippines! 
While some participants inevitably overreach themselves when setting their targets, and fall away, this year about seven of us achieved what we set out to do. Our various targets included drafting, editing an MSS and creating a website. 
Through NANOWRIMO Summer Camp, I began writing the non-fiction book that has been on my heart for a year now, with many changes of approach along the way, including a transition away from fiction. 
My book is a crusade for Mary, mother of Jesus. She is not bland, as she is so frequently depicted. And I do not accept that she was immaculately conceived, but a real-life, gutsy girl and woman, passing on to her son, Jesus, her humanity along with her real-life, gutsy character. 
My working title is MARY’S STORY—HER PAINFUL JOURNEY FROM MOTHER TO DISCIPLE. I reckon that, thanks to summer camp, I’m nearing halfway, which is a great place to be. I know that I’ll finish it, God willing, because I know where I’m going with it. 
The encouragement I have received from the CHRISTIAN NANOWRIMO 2021 Facebook group, both from individuals who met their own targets and others who bombed, has been priceless. 
Mutual accountability has driven us all on. As leader, I felt I owed it to them to meet my target. They expected no less. They, in turn, felt that I expected no less from them. 
We have experienced fellowship with other Christian writers during our challenge and made new friends from around the world.


Bobbie Ann Cole’s new pilot Book Compass Course, combining every aspect of planning your book, so that you are ready to write it with ease, begins Sept. 20th.  There are just 6 places and 2 are already taken. Find out more here: https://www.bobbieanncole.co.uk/the-book-compass-course/


Comments

  1. I definitely agree that accountability makes so much difference. I meet with a writing buddy every fortnight and we make up a prompt. We've done 'doors' and 'fruit' and 'heat' and 'envelopes' - all kinds of random ideas, just from what we can see in our living rooms. Sometimes it's kick-started a chapter or scene for my novel. Sometimes a short story. Or a poem. But because I know she's expecting to hear it, it always yields something - something I know I wouldn't have written without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea for a writing group Christmas party, Fran. I have heard this kind of spontaneous writing called 'proprioceptive'.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed NaNoWriMo last November and loved it. I’m also part of a group that meets from time to time called “Shut Up And Write!” It’s interesting how much a difference these groups make. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should you wish to join us in July for a self-set target at NANOWRIMO Summer Camp, you would be most welcome, Kathleen.

      Delete
  3. Very encouraging, Bobbie. But I understand NaNoWriMo to stand for National *Novel* Writing Month, rather than November. The fact that novel and November start with the same four letters is coincidental. There are other parallel months such as NaPoWriMo in April, which is for poetry, and possibly a memoir or non-fiction one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Veronica. It is NOVEL. Apologies. I am glad you found the post encouraging.

      Delete
  4. I've always worked alone on writing I have to say. This does sound lovely, though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be awfully lonely, don't you find, Ruth?

      Delete

Post a Comment