Tilting the World

 

As I write, it’s raining. Again. Drops of heavy summer rain fall, languidly, from the forsythia outside the dining room window, I can almost hear the rhubarb sprouting and the courgettes burgeoning. Two out of my three children are engaged in outdoor activities. Oops. ‘Let’s get you over to Grandma’s to finish cutting the hedge now it’s stopped raining,’ I said cheerily to the eldest. ‘Of course you can go to the skate park!’ I assured the youngest. Oh well. It’s only rain. It’s not like – I don’t know – holy fire or anything.

Inspiration’s a funny thing. I read Philippa’s excellent blog and thought, “Yes! That’s how I’m feeling.’ I speed-read the Poetry Society newsletter and was gripped by this phrase. “I’m looking for poems which tilt the world for me.” That’s one of the National Poetry judges. I grasped that image and held on to it. Finally, on the way back from the school run (did I mention it was raining?) Elijah popped into my mind. Who knows why.

 I don’t read the Bible nearly as much as I should, but many passages are embedded in my mind. One of my very favourite stories is that of Elijah on Mount Carmel. In 1 Kings 18 we find him challenging Ahab and the prophets of Baal to what you might call a miracle-off. He gives the prophets all day to wail, cut themselves, dance, prophesy and call on their god, but not a single solitary ember or flame appears on their sacrificial altar. Elijah is often portrayed as a fairly serious fellow, but I can’t help but think that there was a twinkle in his eye as he said, “Shout louder! Perhaps Baal is deep in thought, or busy, or travelling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.”

 The moment God sends holy fire down to consume Elijah’s sacrifice is the dramatic climax to a wonderful piece of storytelling. Everyone gets it, bows down to the true God and the prophets of Baal come to a sticky end. That should be, if not the end of the story, at least the part that drives the narrative along to Elijah’s next God-given success. However, it isn’t. And that’s why this is one of my favourite stories. 

The land is ruled by Ahab, hen-pecked husband of wicked Jezebel who has turned the people away from God. Elijah has God on his side, has proved that Baal is made up and should surely be advancing on the palace full of holy confidence. In Chapter 19, however, we find him departing at high speed in the opposite direction. Jezebel, a nasty piece of work if ever there was one, has sent him a death threat which Elijah is taking seriously. We find him under a broom tree in the wilderness and it is here that he speaks some of my favourite words in the entire Old Testament. “I have had enough, Lord.”

Which one of us has not at some point slumped down under a metaphorical broom tree and uttered those words? And, as I often remind myself, if Elijah, anointed prophet of the Lord can feel that way, so can I.

Elijah keeps listening to the Lord and as we all know, does eventually jump back into the story. And what a story it is! Strong characters, a cloud no bigger than a man’s hand, Elijah being filled with holy power and outrunning a chariot, flames leaping to the heavens as thousands bow before the Lord, our hero turning tail and fleeing as Jezebel breathes out dire threats and the eventual downfall of her evil rule. If I’d written something like that, I’d be waiting for the BBC Drama Department to come knocking.

A story written thousands of years ago still has the power to tilt my world. I wonder what all the Israelites thought the day would hold when they got up that morning. Probably just the usual. Breakfast, work, lunch, more work, dinner, bed. And yet they witnessed a great miracle and the hand of God sending fire down from heaven. If that didn’t tilt their world, I don’t know what would. 

One one way and another, I’ve said, “I have had enough, Lord” a fair bit this year. It hasn’t been an easy one. I appreciate it’s nothing compared to the power struggle between Elijah and Jezebel, but that broom tree has been looking fairly tempting. As a Christian writer, I want my words to touch people and for God to speak through them. It seems like a fairly tall order some days, but I need to remind myself I’m not doing it alone. And neither are you.

Images by freebibleimages and author's own

Ruth is a novelist and freelance writer. She is married with three children, one husband, two budgies, two quail, eight chickens and a kitten. Her first novel, “The Diary of Isabella M Smugge”, came out in February this year and the sequel, “The Trials of Isabella M Smugge” comes out in October.  She writes for a number of small businesses and charities and blogs at ruthleighwrites.co.uk. She has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this get in the way of a meaningful life. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at ruthleighwrites.


Comments

  1. What a great post, one that I can relate to in so many ways. It also mirrors my daily readings which are about Elijah at the moment too. Maybe God is trying to tilt my world. Thank you. A superb way to start the day x
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah! This is a huge encouragement as I had no idea what to write until yesterday afternoon and went with God's prompting on Elijah. It was obviously what He wanted me to write which is so uplifting x

      Delete
  2. Elijah is one of my all-time Bible heroes, one with whom I identify just because of that moment of despair. (I can't compete with him in any other way, certainly not with holiness and bravery and all that running.) It is good to be reminded that we don't battle alone. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't surprise me that we are both Elijah fan girls! I can relate to the despair, but certainly not all the running and backchat at the altar.

      Delete
  3. I love this, Ruth. This is one of my very favourite stories in the OT - Elijah sunk in the valley of depression, exhausted physically and spiritually, after an amazing mountain top experience. It's SO relatable. I love how the Bible never, ever whitewashes its greatest characters. This gives Scripture a rugged authenticity. We've all had a rough year, and there will be rough times ahead too. We need to be gentle with ourselves and let God minister as gently to us as he did to Elijah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Philipppa! The obvious end to the story is Elijah being all confident and achieving loads more, but it's so much more relatable and comforting to we ordinary mortals to see him running away and having a good moan

      Delete
  4. I love this. I so feel like this that all my seeds have sprouted and died. I guess there's always tomorrow.... Thanks, Ruth. Hope you're feeling excited about the next Isabella Smugge book. I certainly am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how that feels, Sheila. Was just having a conversation about sowing seeds and watching people tread on them this morning. I will never understand some situations until I get to Heaven. Yes, I am very excited about Isabella Two! On the first round of edits now.

      Delete
  5. Marvelous as ever, Ruth! I'm both sad and surprised that you've had many 'broom tree moments' especially with the success of Isabella, but then again, I only get a tiny glimpse into your world. You bring hope and laughter to many, and I hope you realise how much God beams when he hears about your latest exploits. I'm working on a PDF of prayers from the Bible for Wycliffe supporters to use, and you've helped give me confirmation that Elijah's one could be just right. Thank you! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you Martin! Believe me, I've spent more time under the broom tree than not. Lots of sadness, trauma and disappointment in my life. It's only in my fifties that I've begun to blossom in the way I think God intended. Isabella is certainly one manifestation of that, but there is lots of grim stuff too. Like with all of us. Your words really encouraged me - I love the thought of God beaming. Thank you. I hope He does. Reading everyone's comments on the blog (and let's not forget that's what got to me to this place with Isabella in the first place) has reminded me that God has a plan, even when I can't see it. And I needed to be reminded of that today. Thank you all x

      Delete
  6. Great post Ruth. Can’t wait to get back into the concert hall to experience Felix Mendelssohn’s dramatic musical version of this story. Love your word version of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen! Imagine hearing that beautiful music live again! Almost impossible to imagine after lockdown.

      Delete
  7. Elijah is a favourite of mine for lots of reasons but one being that my grandson has the same name! Another is that he suggests to the prophets of Baal that perhaps their god has gone for a wee. Great post, as usual, Ruth, with plenty of relevance for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got quite an Elijah fan club going! Oh yes, so he does! Great line. So real and authentic.

      Delete
  8. Love Elijah too! And love the world-tilting idea! Great post - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a favourite story of mine too. But you missed out the best bit - where Elijah says to the prophets of Baal, 'Perhaps Baal is on the toilet'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know - I don't know how. Great line!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment